Chapter 10

The next day I woke up in the bed of one of the spare rooms to Caleb shaking me. I rolled over with no urge to wake up, I just wanted to snuggle deeper into the sheets and cry, but I couldn't, my Dad needed me.

Caleb sat beside me and hugged me tightly.

"I promise you that everything will be okay. I know it doesn't feel like it, and something will always feel vacant, but you'll heal" He whispered and I swallowed the lump in my throat and nodded, not trusting my voice. We had breakfast, just the two of us in my room, I didn't want to face anyone else, and I had a shower before I heard a knock at the bedroom door.

"I got you some clothes." Lucy entered and smiled softly at me. Caleb slipping out as she entered. I gave a tiny smile and murmured,

"Thanks. Thanks for everything."

She hugged me and muttered, "Be happy, you're getting your Dad back, you can remember your old life and you're going home to safety."

I nodded, smiling a bit more. "I know, I am so grateful, I know I should be ecstatic, and I am, but it feels so wrong."

She grinned, "You will get better, I know it's shitty advice, but try to focus on the good."

After she left I got changed and went to see the guys to find them all sat in the main room and they all looked at me as I entered and stared.

"Um, hi." I murmured self-consciously. Caleb got up and gave me a tight hug, followed closely by Joey, "You look lovely." Caleb murmured in my ear. My cheeks flushed red and I whispered my thanks quietly.

"Are you ready to go? We're taking a helicopter to a site where we will get a jet back to the American and English government joint base and then we are getting you all home." Lucy chirped happily.

I grinned and saw everyone else mirroring the expression, but looking a bit anxious too as well. I could understand why, nerves were curling in my gut.

We put on our protective clothing and stepped out into the cold. We were led for about 3 minutes into a bank of trees behind the cabin, and anxiety began to whirl inside me. What if they actually were with the camp and had lied? What if they were going to take us back?

Caleb sensed my nerves and laced his fingers with mine. I looked down at our hands and realized how perfectly our hands fit together. I smiled gratefully at him and he kissed my head,

"Don't panic, I'll look after you. We all will, if anything happens, just run, don't even look back." He whispered.

"I wouldn't leave you," I muttered, shocked at how much he cared, and a feeling of warmth and safety ran over me.

We stopped in a clearing and in front of us was a giant helicopter. I gasped and a pilot got out calling out to Rowan, hugging him tightly.

"Matt! It's great to see you again, they are from the camp, you have your instructions right?" He replied.

"Sure I do, come on you guys." He motioned to us to follow him and he helped us into the back of the helicopter. It was filled with comfortable seats and we sat down and took our headsets and strapped ourselves in.

"The flight will be about 30 minutes until you get on the plane, so if you want to get some sleep that's fine. I'm Matt by the way!" The guy introduced himself cheerfully, putting us at ease.

"Thanks," I muttered. He started up the helicopter and we could all hear each other through the headset.

"Are you okay?" Caleb asked me, taking my hand in his. I nodded,

"Are you?"

"Yeah, bit nervous about going home, but I'm happy, content almost." He smiled. I rested my head on his shoulder and eventually fell asleep to the murmuring of the other boys.

I was moving up and down slightly and could hear the crunch of gravel beneath someone's feet. I realized I was being carried, I could hear yelling and the flash of cameras and could see the light even through my closed eyelids.

I stirred and Caleb whispered in my ear, "Pretend to stay asleep so you can avoid them." I realized it was him that was carrying me,  snuggling deeper into his body and buried my head in his chest, looking up as I heard a door open.

Caleb smiled down at me, "Stupid media." he muttered.

"Where are we?" I asked as he put me to my feet but kept a hold on my hand. Looking around we were in a reception area, the windows covered by closed blinds, the desk empty as the door clicked shut behind us.

"England honey, you slept through the flight with the assistance of a sedative, don't worry the boys agreed you needed rest. We are in a safe house, although apparently, it's not secretive." he chuckled. I heard voices coming down the hallway to where we stood. I froze.

Standing in front of me was my father.