I walked through my bedroom and down the hall into the dining room, which wasn't really a dining room anymore. The table didn't look like one that you would sit and eat at. Paintbrushes, palettes, and empty canvases were littered over the newspaper that covered the table. There were also a few books, which I sometimes read when taking a break from painting and sometimes used for inspiration.

Behind the table was a painting I had been working on for the past few days propped up on an easel. On the canvas was a green, grassy field and a blue sky that faded into an orange and purple sunset as it met the grass.

I weaved my way through the chairs around the table to the easel, picking up a palette and some brushes on the way. I put on my usual playlist and got to work on the canvas. After a lot of small strokes, mixing different paints together, and two hours later, I had finished the sun on the horizon and added some purple and blue wildflowers scattered through the field. I stared at the painting, feeling like something was missing.

I decided to make a peanut butter and banana sandwich for lunch, picking up one of my favorite books to read while I ate, 1984 by George Orwell. I could finish the painting later.

Isabel always gave me shit for reading something so depressing, but I thought it was interesting. It's so strange to imagine a society so controlled by their government that even their thoughts were monitored.

I continued reading until I checked the time and realized I needed to start getting ready if I didn't want to look underdressed compared to Isabel. I walked back through the hall, through my bedroom, entering my closet to find something that didn't consist of jeans and a cardigan. I eventually settled on my favorite black ACDC t-shirt and a red skirt with black heels.

I began straightening my hair, which had gotten frizzy after sleeping, and doing my makeup. I don't wear makeup often, but Isabel had taught me how and I'd actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I looked at myself in the mirror, checking to make sure everything looked fine before grabbing my purse and heading out to my car.

The drive to Jimmy's was short and I was jittery the whole way there. I arrived at the restaurant, looking around for Isabel, but instead found Adam with three or four friends at the table beside him. I sat down at the table, looking around at the people I was unfamiliar with. Just as I was hanging my purse on the back of my chair, Isabel sat down next to me.

"Hey hot momma. I forgot how well you clean up!" Isabel laughed.

"Where were you?" I asked out of curiosity, laughing along with Isabel.

"Bathroom, duh. Where else would I be? Anyways, let me introduce you to Adam's friends!" Everyone at the table collectively looked at Isabel, unsure of what she was about to say, yet ready to go along with it. "Charlie, this is Sarah. She's super sweet, you guys will get along great." Sarah nodded and mumbled "It's nice to meet you," to which I smiled. She had long, brown hair and such a kind smile. I noticed her casual outfit, a band tee and jeans and was thankful to see someone that didn't dress up as much as Isabel.

I was pleasantly surprised to have another girl at the table with us. Usually when Adam invited friends they were all rowdy guys, leaving Isabel and I feeling awkward and out of place, although she never let that stop her from having a good time.

"Okay, now this is Mitch. He likes to pretend that he's really mean and doesn't care about anything, but deep, deep down in that tiny little heart of his, he's really a big softy." Mitch rolled his eyes at Isabel, looking as if he couldn't wait for her introduction to be over. "So basically there's no way you two won't get along." She finished. I giggled and he reached over the table to shake my hand with a small smile.