The Aftermath (Cont.)

Start from the beginning

"Nothing," Lenny answers, adjusting it until it's set in place. "It's just for being you."

Mott's smile grows. He can't keep himself from nuzzling Lenny and feeling his heart burst with bliss.

He's just about to suggest they head back to Hilda's—she gets scary when they miss dinner—when a familiar voice calls, "Ah, there he is! The man of the hour!"

Mott's body goes rigid, his blood freezing over. There's no way that's who he thinks it is. It's been a long time since he's heard that voice, after all, he could easily be mistaken. But when he turns around, he's met with the exact sight he expected.

The Alcott patriarch.

"Father...?" He utters, wide-eyed and somewhat confused. He doesn't think he's ever seen his father smile before, and certainly not at him. But as his father approaches, it's undeniable that he's smiling right at him. Even more bizarre, his father reaches out and takes his hand in a friendly handshake. Mott stares at their clasped hands in complete bewilderment.

"Montgomery, how good to see you again," his father says wistfully, as though they're long lost friends. Mott's still busy staring at his hand like an idiot, even when his father lets go. "Everyone's talking about you, my boy. Newspapers are calling you and your sidekick Unova's Paladins. We're all delightfully impressed by what you've done. And you've evolved, too! What impressive feats you've accomplished in such a short time."

Mott opens his mouth. Closes it. Opens it again and looks at Lenny as if to say, Are you seeing this?! Lenny's eyes are fixed on his father with uncharacteristic neutrality. Mott turns back and manages to say, "Uh, thanks."

It seems that his father notices Lenny for the first time, taking him in with poorly veiled disdain. His gaze then turns to the flower crown on Mott's head, as if he's connecting some dots. "I see this commoner has made something to show his appreciation for your act of heroism."

Irritation flickers in Mott's chest, at that. "Our act of heroism. Lenny saved the day, too."

"Of course," his father responds in that grossly condescending voice, the verbal equivalent of giving Lenny a participation trophy for his efforts. Shaking his attention from Lenny, he returns his focus to Mott with that strange smile again. "Anyways, my boy, I've come with wonderful news."

Mott discreetly pinches himself. Okay, so this isn't a dream. "Wonderful news?"

Father smiles with utmost graciousness, like he's going to save Mott's life with his next words. "Not only have you earned your place back in the Alcott family, you've earned your family crest."

Mott's heart stops.

"Congratulations, my son. You are officially a member of the great Alcott family."

He can hardly believe what he's hearing. But sure enough, his father holds out a hand, displaying the family crest in his palm. Mott stares down at the royal blue and silver shining back at him, like a polished treasure just waiting to be plucked. It's more than that, though—it's everything he's ever wanted to for the past twenty one years, handed to him on a platter. Mott could snatch it up right now and accept his rightful place in the Alcott family.

"Go on," his father urges, holding it up to him. "You've earned it."

He's waited so long to hear those very words. And yet, now that they've finally been spoken, they fall flat. He earned his spot in the family? How long is he going to have to earn recognition and acceptance, when it's something that should be freely given?

He stares at the crest. Then, he looks to the bandana around his arm.

The choice is pretty obvious.

"Thanks," he says, pushing the crest away. "But no thanks."

His father's smile strains. "I'm sorry?"

"Thanks, but no thanks," he repeats, straightening his shoulders. "I decided I don't want it, nor do I need it."

"You don't want the family crest, the most honorable symbol in the Alcott family spanning generations? Surely, you must be mistaken. Don't be selfish," His father insists, his voice a mix of incredulity and indignation.

"I'm not selfish."

His father ignores him. "Why else would you have defeated Zekrom if not to bring honor to our family, as requested of you?"

"Because I wanted to help people," he answers without a shred of hesitation. "What I do has nothing to do with your approval, anymore."

"Montgomery," his father hisses through clenched teeth, forcing a menacing smile for appearance's sake. "If you do not accept this crest, you will be banished from the Alcott family—permanently."

Seriously? This again?

Mott shrugs. "Okay." And then, he walks away.

A moment passes before anything else happens, as if Mott left everyone behind him speechless. That's fine. He'd rather not hear his father's petulant ranting, anyways. But after a moment, there's a quick patter of light footsteps chasing after him, and soon Lenny is walking by his side.

"Are you alright?" He asks, fixing Mott with a worried gaze. "That crest and your father's approval... that's all you've ever wanted."

"It was," Mott answers, booping their noses together playfully. "But not anymore."

Lenny regards him for a long moment as if reading him like a book. Then, a smile dances on his face.

"You've really changed, Mott," he states, his voice warm and proud. "You're like a whole new person."

Mott feels it too.