(Cont.) A Challenge Given, a Challenge Received

Montgomery doesn't wait for him to make the first move. Summoning powers deep inside him, he shoots water directly at Florian's chest. Florian stands still, even as the attack barrels toward him, as if he's just waiting to get hit. But in a sudden blur of green, he vanishes along with the guest standing behind him. Montgomery's attack hits the wall.

Florian reappears with the guest in tow, his speed blinding. In a flash, he retaliates with a powerful move that Montgomery doesn't recognize. All he knows is that it must be a grass-type move, because it hurts like hell.

Montgomery tumbles to the floor, skidding to a painful halt against the marble. His skin burns from the slide, torn and bleeding in the slightest. A quiet hiss of pain escapes him, but thankfully, no one notices. They're all too preoccupied marvelling over Florian.

An astonished patron gasps, "He just saved that guest, dodged, and landed a blow in one move!"

Another adds, "That's the Callahan patriarch for you. Anything less would be a disappointment!"

Montgomery props himself on a knee, already struggling to stand. This is not good. Whatever move Florian used was strong. He might not be able to take another hit like that. Refusing to go down so easily, he pushes himself to his feet. Florian hasn't made a move to approach him, opting to stand at a distance and study him coldly.

"Well?" Florian demands, having the audacity to look bored. "I thought I'd be getting a duel, not a punching bag."

Scowling, he leaps into action. Gripping tighter to one of his scalchops, he channels energy into it to create a blade of water. Diving at Florian, he raises his arm high, preparing to strike him down. But when he slashes downward, Florian is no longer there.

He's behind him.

He realizes this too late, and he doesn't even have time to turn before Florian slams him into the ground.

He falls, hard. The taste of blood stings in his mouth. Sounds from the room suddenly grow hazy and disoriented, far away. He tries to rise. He can't tell if he's succeeding or not. All sense of direction has gone to hell as the world spins around him and his head weighs ten times the normal amount.

When he's turned on his back, he's not sure if it's by his own doing or by someone else's. He glares up at the blurry figure of Florian, who stares down at him with shadows cast over his face.

"Just stay down," Florian says, quiet enough that surely, no one else can hear. Montgomery thinks he can hear a hint of pity in there, too. That makes his blood boil. "It's for your own good."

His rage spikes, and in a fury, he lunges out with his scalchops slashing. Florian evades effortlessly, dodging and ducking from every swipe. No matter how Montgomery hacks and slashes, his attempts always turn up futile, his struggles always prove fruitless. Useless, useless, useless

Florian must decide he's had enough. With a sharp spin, he lashes out with his tail, hitting Montgomery with that same, crippling move. Blown back, Montgomery can only brace himself before he slams into the wall. He hears the exclamations and cries from the guests pierce his ears. His head throbs.

Slumping, his body goes limp. Keeping his eyes open is a struggle enough. There's no way in hell he can stand and fight.

He catches his father's gaze. There's nothing but disappointment and disdain.

Florian regards him for another moment to see if he'll try and get up. When he decides there's a fat chance of that, he turns to the guests in the room and begins to speak.