(Cont.) A Celebration of Love

Lanterns really are beautiful. There's something about a lantern on a dark, starry summer's night that can't be compared to anything else. No matter the shape, size, or color, each one has a little flickering heart inside, a small and steady flame that keeps in alight. The flame could either illuminate it with heavenly splendor or consume it in a fiery wrath. The precious balance of the fire embraced by fragile paper is a most pure form of trust.

Mott wonders if the festival deliberately chose paper lanterns as their symbol of love for that very reason.

It takes him and Lenny about a half and hour to find the perfect lanterns for themselves. Lenny's is a gentle green sphere, soft and round and delicate. Artful leaves are inked along the sides in an intricate show of beauty. Mott finds a blue, cylindrical lantern, broad and sturdy. Crashing waves circle around the lantern.

Some people have already begun to set theirs off by the time Mott and Lenny are walking back to the beach. The soft glow of the lanterns couples with the silvery glimmer of the stars and creates a work of art unlike anything Mott has ever seen. It all reflects on the glassy lake like an endless galaxy of light.

Mott leads them down to a secluded cove on the beach where they will be able to send off their lanterns in private. It's a place where barely any lanterns have floated off too, so it still retains its unblemished darkness.

He wonders what their lanterns will look like, shining together in the darkness.

When they reach the shoreline, away from the commotion of the festival, they stand shoulder to shoulder. The gentle waves lap at their feet, washing over in soft whispers before retreating into the glossy lake. Above them, a cluster of stars glimmer, the only other witnesses to this moment.

"It sure is beautiful tonight," Lenny sighs, dreamy and content.

Mott turns to look at him, soaking in the sight of a billion, diamond-like stars reflected in his eyes.

"Yes," he agrees, "it is."

Lenny meets his gaze with a smile, holding up his lantern. "Should we send them off?" Mott raises his own in response and mirrors his smile.

Together, wordlessly, they usher their lanterns upward, releasing them to the heavens. The lantern feels airy and weightless in his hands, and it easily drifts toward the sky as if it's being called home. Called home to join the rest of the stars, perhaps—but it doesn't go alone. Lenny's lantern remains alongside throughout the journey, twirling and dancing together beyond the inky and endless horizon.

Together, the lanterns float away. Together, Mott and Lenny watch in contemplative silence. Mott can only assume Lenny is taking the time to be thankful for the love surrounding him, just as Mott is—given the circumstances, he can't fathom anyone doing anything less. The night is so full of love, so saturated in it, that Mott can hardly think of anything else.

He doesn't know how he never realized his feelings for Lenny before. He doesn't know how he was so blind to it. He doesn't know how he thought he was going to keep it a secret forever. But none of that matters anymore, because he's ending that now.

He clears his throat. "Lenny?"

Lenny's eyes remain on their lanterns. "Hmm?"

Lenny's voice is soft; his eyes are softer. He watches their lanterns disappear together. Mott breathes in the sight, his heart racing, and swallows. "There's something that I want to tell you."

Those captivating eyes turn to him. "That you cheated at ring toss?"

"What? No. Why would I—?"