Volume 7 Ep. 5 - Pomp and Circumstance

Comincia dall'inizio

"Specifically, people who speak out against me. It didn't look like a pattern at first. But this is the third murder of its kind in the last week." He explained. "Wait a minute." Jaune steps forward. "Isn't that..."

"The guy that rode with us after we got arrested." I nodded. "He died?" Ruby asks with an upset tone. "Your opposition in Mantle dropping dead isn't exactly a good look for you, huh?" Qrow questioned.

"Not really worried about my public image, but it is causing unrest." General deactivates the hologram, putting his scroll away. "I think someone's trying to frame me and, by extension, Atlas. And it's working." He confessed.

"Well, if it wasn't for the embargo making everybody so mad, people probably wouldn't be so quick to blame you for everything else." Jaune stated. A noticeable frown is present on General Ironwood's face. Jaune awkwardly clears his throat and stands at attention.

"S -- sir." He replied. "No. No, you're right." General Ironwood rubs the bridge of his nose. "Things in Mantle have been... hard to manage lately. I'm not blind to its issues. In fact, that's what I want to talk to you about." He confessed.

"With the launch of this mobile communication tower and tension down in Mantle, I think there are a lot of good your teams can do here." He says, looking up at Amity Coliseum. Suddenly, his communicator beeps. Taking it out, he puts his fingers to it, listening.

"What? Already? Here? No, it's fine. Let him land. I'll deal with him myself." General Ironwood talks into the communicator. Both Ruby and I shared a questionable glance before turning back to the General.

"More Mantle problems?" Qrow questioned. "No. This one's an Atlas problem." He corrected. From a distance, an airship flies in with the Schnee Dust Company logo on its side.

'This can't be good...' I thought to myself as we walked towards the landing pad. A ramp extends from the airship's double door, which opens to reveal an angry Jacques Schnee. 'Called it...' I thought again.

"So let me get this straight, James. In addition to this nonsensical embargo of yours crippling my business, you've also decided you have the authority to commandeer private property?" Jacques ranted as he makes his way in front of the General, who stood calm, arms folded behind him. With an accusing finger, he continues. "When the Council hears about this, you will never -- "

"Actually, I've already informed them. As this is now the site of a classified military operation, it didn't even require a vote." General Ironwood calmly cut him.

"Didn't require a vote?!" Jacques let out in disbelief. "You might want to brush up on Council law before you lose this upcoming election, Jacques. Now. I've allowed you to land here once as a courtesy. The next time, it won't be a friendly reception." General Ironwood warned him, who received a glare as an answer. "Lately, you seem to forget who your friends really are. I'm going to get that Council seat, James, and maybe then, you'll -- "

Cutting himself off, his eyes widen when he notices Weiss's presence. "You..." Jacques let out with disappointment. He walks past General Ironwood.

"You ropes my missing daughter into these schemes of yours, too?" Jacque turns to the General. "How long has she been back in Atlas? Did Winter know about this?" He angrily questioned. Annoyed, Weiss steps forward.

"It was my decision to come here. Just like it was my decision to leave. Or have you forgotten all about it?" She confronted her father. "If you think I'm one to forget anything, girl, then you've misjudged the man your father is." He fought back.

"Believe me, I know exactly the kind of man you are." Weiss replied with an attitude. "How dare you speak to me that way?! I have half of a mind to -- "

"Half a mind to do what, Jacques?" General Ironwood interjects. Adjusting his cuffs, Jacques sighs angrily. "You know... your mother was devastated when you left." Jacques confessed.

"Didn't leave her room for days. You know how... she gets... when she's upset." He continued with a tone of "sadness." Furrowing my brows, I took a step forward. Qrow puts a hand in front of me, shaking his head not to intervene.

"I knew one day, you would overextend your reach. I didn't come here to beg for an abandoned mine. I came here to thank you..." Jaques stated as his second daughter looks towards her teammates. Blake grasps her hands and gives her a reassuring, comforting nod.

"...for personally handing me the noose to hang you." Jacques finishes his thought. "You'll regret this." He says turning away from her, then back. "So these are the little friends you threw everything away for?" Jacques says, eying Team RWBY.

"Not friends." She shakes her head. "Family." She corrected. "Hmm..." Jacques simply let out before turning and retreating back to his airship. It soon takes off and leaves the area.

A truck soon arrives on the platform. The passenger side door opens to reveal Winter peaking out at the ship. "Oh, now you show up, Winter. You just missed father." Weiss says in a joking manner. Jumping out of the tuck, she makes her way towards Team RWBY. "I wouldn't say I missed hi -- "

Suddenly, Penny crash-lands in between Winter and Team RWBY, sending the group of four flying. "Surprise!" She enthusiastically makes her entrance.

A small smile formed on my face from the gesture. "Uh, did we not start yet?" Penny asks, noticing Team RWBY on the ground. General Ironwood stares with a wide-eyed grimace. Winter puts her fingertips on her forehead in exasperation.

"Apparently, we haven't." Winter sighed. Jaune and Nora laugh at my side, while Ruby stands up in confusion. "Start what?" She asks out loud.