TWENTY-SIX: Flirting

Start from the beginning

"Nyx go shower and get some none walker covered clothes on." I grumble making my way over to Carl, "up to carrying me to our cell and then the shower room, I've been refused service due to my appearance." I gesture to what I'm wearing, Carl turned around and told me to hop onto his back, "I was expecting you to say no." I admit as I hop onto his back, wrap my legs around his waist and my arms lightly around his shoulders and neck. "Daryl ordered me to make sure you're fed and watered before you go to sleep." Carl informs me, taking off in a sprint making me laugh out of shock, when we reach the cell block, my hands slither over Carl's eyes.

"Nyx I can't see, move your hands." Carl ordered me, "don't you trust me to guide you back safely?" I whisper in Carl's ear and I feel his body tense a bit, causing a smirk to play on my lips. I hop off his back. "I see how it is..." I spoke joking walking into our cell and picking out clothes, Carl followed behind me, "so have you had a good birthday?" I ask him, whilst deciding what to wear. "It was alright, but I missed you all day." A small smile played on my lips as I look over at Carl.

"Tell you what, you can join me on patrol tonight and we can do whatever you want." I offer a solution. "Nyx Louise Martin, are you hitting on me?" I smile widely at his joking question, "I'm just offering some of my time, seems to be precious lately." I shrugged playfully, I wanted to give Carl a hug but remembered how disgusting I must look. "I'll be back soon!" I jog out of the room, clean clothes in hand as well as my hairbrush.

After my shower, I quickly dried off and got dressed, I decided to wear something warm and comfy for patrol tonight. I wore black skinny jeans, a red long sleeved v neck and a black jean jacket that had white fluffy wool on the inside of it, white socks and my rusty brown combat boots. I dried my hair as much as possible with a towel, brushing it and getting rid of all the tangles, before standing in front of the mirror. The Nyx I am now is nothing like the girl I used to see in the mirror before the world decided to end.

My skin was slightly tanned with freckles sitting perfectly on my nose and the apples of my cheeks, my nose was slightly slimmer and my lips a bit plumper and my hair framed my face perfectly. I was a bit skinner, but not too skinny, and my figure wasn't exactly hourglass but close enough that a smile was painted onto my face. That was new as well, before I never smiled at myself in the mirror, mainly because I wasn't happy at all. I lived a lot like Rapunzel when I was younger, locked up in a tower hidden from the world and my mother was my keeper, gran was right, I'd find my place without mum, here it was.

I walk back to my cell to notice Carl was missing, I made my way back outside to the meal area to get my dinner. When I reached Carol, I was shown a big smile from her, "much better." She chimed taking in my appearance making me blush, she slides my dinner into hand before telling me to follow her to our table. I did as I was told, Maggie beams looking at me as she said, "wow Nyx." My blush burned brighter, "you look great." Beth adds, I thank them both sinking to my seat.

"I can't wait to see Carl's reaction." Daryl bounced on his seat excitedly, I look at him confused but decided to eat my dinner. "Who's the new- Nyx?" Carl stops mid-question as I turn to look at him, I smile sweetly at him, "woah, you, you look good, I mean..." Carl stumbles making the group laugh at him but me, "thank you. Now sit down, you're making me uncomfortable by standing." Carl rushed to sit down next to Rick and Glenn, I frown slightly that he didn't want to sit next to me, but I quickly hide my disappointment.

"So, what does it feel like to be 15?" Carol questioned Carl, he shrugged, "feels the same as 14," he admits making me feel better. "You excited for your birthday Nyx?" Carl flips the question on me, I just shrug, "you've ruined it for me now..." I joked making Carl chuckle as he rolls his eyes, "she's just mad that you're three days older than her and almost a foot taller than her." Noel speaks up, I gasp in shock at the dig my little brother made at me causing the others to laugh me, "he's not that much taller than me, that hat is most of his height." Rick nudged us both, telling us to stand back to back. We did as instructed, he then asked Carl to take off his hat which I felt him do, "huh, she's right, sorry son, you've only got four inches on her."

I did a mini celebration for being right causing Carl to playfully shove me and me to knock Oliver's food out of his hand and onto the ground. "Oh my god, Oliver, I'm so sorry." I spoke as I faced him and a hand flew to my mouth, he looked furious, "jeez it was only a bit of food dude, you can get more." Carl spoke up from behind me, "Nyx, has a habit of taking everything from me." Oliver spat in my face, he raised his hand as if he was going to hit me but Danny quickly tackled him to the ground. "Oliver, calm the fuck down. It's not Nyx's fault Sydney got bitten, so stop blaming her." Danny told him, I placed my hand on Danny's shoulder telling him to get off of Oliver.

I offer my hand to Oliver who slaps it away. "Look Oliver, I understand you're angry and upset but there's nothing I could've done to prevent Sydney from being bit." Sydney joins the party as her eyebrows knit together in confusion, "Oli, it wasn't Nyx's fault. Mrs McLeod hid her bite from everyone, she snuck up on me." Oliver flinched as Sydney called him Oli, but he relaxed because of her presence. "Syd, why don't you bring Oliver to get more food?" Noel spoke up and Sydney nodded leading Danny and Oliver away.

I blinked a few times before returning to my seat. "What was that about?" Carl questions me angrily, "Oliver likes Sydney, he blames me for her being bitten." I inform him in a monotone voice, pushing my food over to Maggie because my appetite was gone, "no I mean Danny, are you two together?" I physically cringe at the thought of dating Danny, "ew no, look Danny is a good friend, but he's not exactly my type." Maggie chuckles at me, I turn to look at her and she stares smirking back at me.

"What's your type?" Beth questions with mock curiosity, "well first of all, someone that can kill a walker, you know shoot a gun or good with a knife." I give one reason because this wasn't exactly topic I wanted to have when Carl was sitting so close. "That can be learned." Maggie points out, I bite my lip as I try come up with any thing, "someone I can trust to take care of Noel and Naomi, knowing they're perfectly safe in their hands." Noel scoffed rolling his eyes at the comment, saying that he can take care of himself.

"Any particular physical features?" Rick questions, I feel like everyone knows something that I don't, "nope." I say quickly as my eyes connect with Carl's for a split second, "can we change the subject from my love life or lack there of?" The adults shook their heads, "what about Patrick?" I spit the water from my mouth covering Glenn and Daryl in shock, "I'll take that as a no," Glenn spoke up wiping his face.

"I asked you to drop it, so it's your fault." I shrug, Daryl smirked turning to Carl, "what about you Carl? Lena is quite the girl." I couldn't help but feel a little jealous about the mention of one of the new girls Daryl brought in. "She's ok I guess, too young for me though." Carl shrugged disinterested in the conversation, "only okay? Magnificent comes to my mind..." Noel blurted out causing me to become alert, "Noel, do you have a crush on Lena?" I ask him in a very motherly voice, "yeah, and I'm not afraid to admit it. Like you're afraid to admit that you like-" I slapped my hand over brother's mouth.

Carl's eyes widened, before asking "wait, Noel knows who you like? Why won't you tell me?" I cleared my throat as my face burn bright red, "Noel found out accidentally. I'mma leave now. Noel will you walk my group back to B? And if you say anything just remember I know where you sleep." I whisper the last sentence, I look down at my brother who still had his mouth covered with my hand, he nodded and I let go, quickly jogged away.