Chapter 2: A person in need

Present

The Time-Turner, a mystical device utilized for time travel, resembled an hourglass pendant imbued with a special Hour-Reversal Charm by the British Ministry of Magic for added stability.

Each rotation of the hourglass corresponded to one hour traveled back in time. However, for safety reasons, travelers were restricted to a maximum of five hours in the past to avoid dire consequences to themselves and the fabric of time.

These limitations left Hermione pondering her journey. What drove her to venture through time when the Time-Turner's capacity was capped at five hours? Recollections surfaced of the battle between Voldemort and Harry, where she was struck by not one, but two cursed spells – one cast by Voldemort and the other by herself.

The first, "Avada Kedavra," a lethal curse causing instantaneous death, lacked a known counter-curse save for sacrificial love. The second, Configo, unleashed a blasting force. Could the amalgamation of these curses, combined with her Time-Turner, have triggered her temporal displacement? Or was there a missing piece she failed to grasp?

Hermione was lost in her thoughts when she failed to notice Dumbledore entering the room. His clearing of his throat snapped her attention in his direction.

"Professor?" Hermione called out in surprise.

"Did I disturb your thoughts?" Dumbledore asked as he pulled up a chair in front of Hermione and took a seat.

"No, Professor. I'm glad you're here," Hermione replied.

"I see. Your mother told me everything," Dumbledore said, and a moment of silence followed. Hermione wondered if Dumbledore believed her, but in her time, he was someone she, Harry, and Ron trusted implicitly.

"Do you believe me, Professor?" Hermione finally asked. She had always believed in him, no matter what.

"You know, from the moment the Sorting Hat judged you, I knew you were an extraordinarily gifted child. I've been secretly observing you, and yes, I do believe in you," Dumbledore reassured her with a gentle smile.

"I need your help, Professor," Hermione admitted. She couldn't do this alone. She needed someone inside Hogwarts, and Dumbledore was that person.

"Then I will lend you a hand," Dumbledore replied, taking Hermione's hand in his own, reassuring her of a mentor and a friend.

The Ministry of Magic unveiled the prophecy stored in the Hall of Prophecy, nestled within the Department of Mysteries on Level 9 of the Ministry of Magic in London, England. This chamber housed shelves brimming with records of prophecies, although a significant portion had been destroyed during a skirmish between Death Eaters and members of Dumbledore's Army in 1996.

While speculation about its existence had long circulated within the wizarding community, it wasn't until 1996 that the Ministry officially confirmed its presence. Yet, as time twisted and changes unfurled, a new prophecy emerged.

The Ministry sought to conceal this revelation, especially considering their tightened security measures since the confrontation with Grindelwald. Particularly wary of the Prophecy's implications, they endeavored to keep it under wraps. However, when faced with an ominous prophecy regarding time travel and lacking any leads, they turned to Dumbledore for assistance.

The Hall of Prophecy, a vast and chilly chamber accessed through the Time Room, bore a resemblance to the grandeur of a cathedral with its soaring ceiling. Towering shelves loomed row upon row, laden with hundreds of small, dusty glass orbs—each a Prophecy Record—bearing yellowed labels beneath. Blue-flame candles flickered in brackets spaced along the shelves, casting an eerie glow amidst the dimness.

Row 53 stood directly opposite the entrance, followed by 54, 55, and so forth to the right. The hall was shrouded in a faint light, with candles positioned at each row's ends, leaving the far reaches obscured in darkness. Some orbs emitted a faint inner glow, while others remained cold and dark, akin to blown light bulbs.

Every glass orb held a record of prophecy, etched with the name of the seer, the subject, and the year of its inception. A select few orbs radiated warmth from within, their contents swirling in a strange, liquid white hue, while others remained ominously dull and lifeless.

The orbs were further enchanted to be accessible only to the Keeper of the Hall of Prophecy and the subjects involved in each individual prophecy. Attempting to touch the orbs without proper authorization would trigger instant madness in the intruder.

Hermione's prophecy, crafted by the elderly, bearded Seer named Male, mirrored the unsettling nature of those preserved within the Hall of Prophecy. It emerged during the very time frame in which Hermione found herself thrust back into the past.

Dumbledore pondered the tumultuous events unfolding in the wizarding world, contemplating the significance of Hermione's temporal journey. What storms must have beset the magical realm to compel such a young soul to traverse through time?