Chapter 33: The truth

Hermione strode down the hallway, her eyes caught sight of students gathered outside the school gates, surrounded by Aurors. A ripple of concern coursed through her. Had something untoward occurred while she was immersed such deeds in the library? Tom walked beside her, his hand firmly clasping hers. Together, they followed Dumbledore.

"Professor, what's happening?" Hermione inquired anxiously as they approached Dumbledore.

Dumbledore's expression was grave as he turned to face them. "Another student has been petrified," he disclosed, his gaze lingering on Tom, causing a chill to creep down Tom's spine. Yes, he had opened the Chamber of Secrets not once, but twice, but he had sealed it again the previous night, ensuring that the beast remained contained.

Coming to a halt outside his office, Dumbledore gestured for them to enter. "Inside," he instructed. Hermione and Tom took their seats, the air heavy with anticipation. Dumbledore extinguished the flames in the fireplace with a flick of his wand before settling into the chair opposite them, his piercing gaze fixed on Tom and Hermione.

"Now, Tom, speak before I hand you over to the Aurors," Dumbledore's voice cut through the tense atmosphere like a blade. Tom gripped Hermione's hand tighter, a silent plea for support. He never imagined that opening the Chamber of Secrets would come to haunt him so profoundly.

"It's true, I opened the chamber, but that was a month ago," Tom began, his tone heavy with remorse. He couldn't shake the knowledge that someone had lost their life the last time the chamber was opened.

"And last night, I swear I closed the chamber before I left," Tom continued, a weary sigh escaping him. Despite not being responsible for yesterday's events, he still bore the weight of his past actions, actions he couldn't undo. Dumbledore studied him intently, his expression inscrutable.

A knowing smile played across Dumbledore's lips, catching Hermione off guard. Suddenly, realization dawned on her.

"How did Tom find out professor?" she blurted out, her mind racing with questions. Hermione had confided in only one person about her secret, and that was Dumbledore. She trusted him implicitly to keep her secret. So, how had Tom Riddle uncovered her secret? And why was Dumbledore behaving like a mischievous sprite, seemingly delighted that his secret had been discovered?

A broad smile illuminated Dumbledore's face. "I recognize a change of heart when I see one," he remarked, his gaze shifting to Tom. "I understand what you've done, Tom, and while you're already facing the consequences, you must still reckon with the gravity of your actions," Dumbledore elucidated. Tom nodded solemnly, his grip on Hermione's hand tightening with a mix of remorse.

"I am prepared to face the consequences of my deeds, Professor, for I am truly remorseful. However, I have a humble request," Tom spoke with a heavy heart, his desire to prove himself worthy to Hermione evident in his every word. "What is it?" Dumbledore inquired, his tone gentle yet expectant.

"It's true that I opened the Chamber, but I took care to seal it shut yesterday. Please grant me time to ascertain how the Basilisk escaped, and... allow me more time with Hermione," Tom implored. He knew he needed to demonstrate his transformation, not just in words but in deeds, and his request was a testament to his commitment to change.

Dumbledore regarded Tom with a thoughtful expression, his eyes glinting with a mixture of wisdom and compassion. After a moment of silence that seemed to stretch on, he finally spoke.

"Very well, Tom," Dumbledore said, his voice carrying a weight of solemnity. "I will grant your request, but know that your actions will be closely monitored, and you must prove your sincerity through your deeds, not just your words."