Chapter 6: Cupid's A Suspect

Start from the beginning

I had decided on a red body-con dress, and my black hair was loose and pin-straight — and frizz-free — for now. The soft waves curtained around my face, bringing out the winged eyeliner and thick mascara on my eyes. "You too. Your dress is gorgeous. By the way, where did the ice Cupid come from?" I asked, amused. "West outdid himself."

"West's aunt," she said. "Remember her trendy furniture store in Saratoga Springs? She has a bunch of cute holiday decorations in stock, and West placed the order the other night. I guess the delivery guy came before drunk teens' craziness took over. You'd think he'd stay for the party, though." She looked behind me and bit her lip. "Damn, so Justin's still a no-show?"

"Unless you've seen him, still missing." I winced as soon as the words were out. Missing was not the right word to choose in this situation.

"Well, if he wants to miss this, he can." She pulled my arm, leading me through the cluttered hall. Electronic music pounded from the living room speakers, and an array of strobe lights brightened the rooms. "We'll have a good time, get drunk, and send him pictures. Then he'll be mad that he isn't here in person, so he could see you in that dress — and out of it."

I laughed and followed her to the bar area, where stacked pizza boxes and open liquor bottles lined the counter. Cooper and West were there, challenging each other to see who could consume the most cookies in one sitting.

Taylor perched on the counter stool, crossing her legs together. "I don't get how you guys eat when you drink." She took a sip of her drink, making a sour face. When her eyes landed on Luce and me, her face brightened. "Hey, guys! Cheers with me."

She grabbed us solo cups and poured us drinks. Taylor had decided on a pink body suit, which meant she was open to something possibly happening that night, despite her prior objections. I wondered if it had anything to do with her secret admirer from the showcase.

"Some people might think we're acting like juvenile high schoolers," West said, spitting a little as he talked with a mouthful of cookies. "But this is an art only grown adults can master. Wanna join, Haven?"

"Babe, no one wants to see that," Luce groaned.

"Yeah, babe, please. Spare us," Taylor added. "This is worse than PDA."

"Hey guys," a soft voice spoke out. Lila had approached us, wearing a pink corset top and ripped white jeans. "Decided on both colors, just in case. I mean, I don't mind being single, but who knows? Tonight could change things." She smiled shyly, her eyes landing on Cooper.

Cooper's face turned red, realizing he couldn't talk until he swallowed. He turned around, hiding his chipmunk cheeks from view. He cast a desperate look at me, a silent SOS.

"Hi, Lila!" I said, saving him from the embarrassment. "You want to join us?"

"Sure. What are we drinking?" Lila said, searching for a solo cup.

Cooper looked at me gratefully and took the time to swallow his food, puffing out his chest as if to say I'll take it from here. "Do you want vodka? Tequila? Juice? I helped make the juice..." After he handed her a drink, they separated from the rest of the group.

"He's growing up," West said.

I laughed, reaching over to make my drink. "I don't think I'll compare to Coop's bar tending skills, but any suggestions for a good chaser?"

"No chaser is the best chaser," West said.

Taylor's phone lit up, and she glanced at her screen, blood draining from her face. "Shit. Shit."

"Uh, no phones when we're partying." West grabbed her phone, dangling it out of her reach.

"West, it's not funny. Give it back. Can you take things seriously for once?" Her voice had an edge to it.