Chapter One

"Mom!" I yelled down, "Where are my cleats?"

"Check the laundry room!" She yelled back.

I raced down the hall to the laundry room to find my soccer cleats.

"Erin! Hurry up! Zach is here!" My mom called up to me.

"Just a minute, Mom! I'm coming!" I grabbed the rest of my soccer equipment and raced down the stairs.

"Hey, Zach." I greeted with a smile as I trotted into the kitchen dropping my bag by the table.

"Sup, Erin." he beamed from his place at the table.

Zach is my best friend. We grew up together and have been as close as brother and sister for as long as I can remember.

I grabbed a donut from the box on the counter and plunked down next to Zach.

"Where's dad?" I asked taking a bite of my donut.

"He went into work early." My mom answered while washing the dishes.

My dad is a police officer. I worry about him all the time but I know he's safe. Nothing happens in our city.

"Hey Mama Knight, can I get another donut?" Zach asked. See what I mean. My mom is his mom and his mom is mine. It's just how we work. We're that close.

My mom nodded at the box. "Of course, Zach! Help yourself! You don't have to ask. You know that."

Zach sprang from his seat and snatched the last donut.

"Hey Erin, we gotta go." Zach mumbled around a mouthful of donut but it sounded more like "Bey, Erbin, we bobba bo."

I laughed and finished my donut. "Bets bo." I imitated him.

He glared at me and grabbed my gym bag from the floor. "I'll be home by seven!" I called to my mom as I followed Zach out the front door.

"How's soccer been?" Zach asked as he started the car.

"Great! I'm so pumped for our first game this weekend!" I babbled excitedly.

"I'll be there." He said smiling. "I think I still have my shirt." He drummed his fingers on the steering wheel in thought. "Hm, I'll have to check."

Last season, my mom ordered Zach a t-shirt that said "I'm with Eight" on the front and "Knight" on the back. He wore it to every game.

"You better." I playfully teased.

Zach pulled into the school lot reserved for athletes and parked in a front row space. Having the Varsity starting quarter back and team captain as your best friend really came in handy sometimes.

Zach handed me my bag from the back. "I'll see you at 6:45?" he asked.

I nodded. He gave me a hug and we went our separate ways to class.

After School

"Great practice, ladies!" Coach Robin commended us as we huffed and puffed from our sprints. "And great job to Erin for staying in the lead for those sprints and setting a new team record." My teammates cheered and patted me on the back. "Alright. Break out on Erin and you guys are free to go."

I stepped into the middle of the huddle. "Alright ladies, I want the guys team on the other side of the school to hear us. Loud and proud. Who are we?!" I hollered.

"The Trojans!" My teammates hollered back.

"And what do we like to do?!"

"Win! All day everyday!"

"Work hard!"

"Work hard!"

"Play hard!"

"Play hard!"

I held my arm over my head and my teammates rose theirs to meet me. "Let's go Trojans!" we all hollered together. "Great practice ladies, see y'all tomorrow."

We all started gathering our equipment as the boy's varsity team walked by.

And there he was at the front of his team. Ryder Daniels, captain of the Varsity boy's soccer team.

Ryder laughed at a joke one of the guys said as he pulled his sweaty t-shirt over his head. Man he was gorgeous.

I made my way up the stairs towards the locker room.

"Hey Knight!" Ryder hollered. "Wait up!"

I stopped and turned towards him. He told his team goodbye and jogged over to me.

"Was that your team I could hear over at our field?"

I beamed proudly. "Hell yeah it was."

"You've got them whipped into shape. I need to get my guys that enthusiastic. What position do you play again?"

"Goalie. You?"

"Goalie too. Well, good luck with your season." he said then jogged off to the showers.

"Did I just see you talking to the Ryder Daniels?" My teammate, Natalie, squealed as she ran up to me.

"Relax, Nat. We were just discussing soccer."

"Still!"

I laughed. "Come on. I have to meet Zach."

Yay! Chapter 1! This was actually supposed to go up last night but I spent the whole night in the ER... But I'm better now! So don't fret dear followers!

I am so excited for this book! I practically have the whole thing written in my head!

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!

What do y'all think about Matthew being a police officer? Isn't it great!

I changed the cover. What do you guys think? I like this one much better!

Avery