Chapter Three

"Did you hear what he did in school? Why aren't you upset?" she gasps, stamping her foot grumpily to prove her point. "He could've revealed what he was to all of the students!"

"But he didn't," he says soothingly, resting his hands on her shoulders.

"He practically scarred that poor girl!" she cries out, hitting his hands from her shoulders. "The teacher said she was hysterical, Soul!"

"Maka, you're overreacting," he states, looking down to his youngest son. "He just used a spell. It's common for growing demons to learn the extent of their magic."

"He. Made. Her. Levitate," she hisses pointedly, turning her glare to her twelve year old. "You don't do that to a classmate."

"She didn't believe that I had magic!" he protests, and her glare silences any further outbursts.

"Soul, we've agreed that they don't use their magic in school," she says, her voice hard. "And you've said that I get to discipline the boys if you get Lucy. Don't tell me it's not a big deal."

"What, do you have favorites?" the white haired boy cries out, drawing attention back to himself. "Dad, Lucy is your favorite?"

"No, Christopher," the older male says shortly. "She's not. It's... It's a long story."

"It's just because she acts more demon and your father has more experience with demonic things than I do," his mother breaks in. "And you and Felix are usually so good..."

"But he lets her get away with murder and I get in trouble for making Lynn levitate?" he screeches. "She became the queen of Hell as a six year old and I can't try to entertain one beautiful girl? Where's the logic in that?"

"Damn this all, it's about her," Maka groans, running her hand through her hair. "You have a crush on her."

"No, don't change the subject!" he growls, shooting a dark gaze to either of his parents. "Why do you have to discipline us boys? Why the hell can't we have Dad, because he's so much easier? Luce never gets in trouble, and she makes a fuss all the fucking time. I demand fairness!"

"Christopher James, that is no way to talk to your mother," Soul snarls, his red eyed gaze hardening. "You can speak to me like that, but not her. She brought you into this world and you will give her the respect she deserves."

"Neither of you are listening to me! You keep trying to change the subject!" he cries out, fisting his hands into his white hair. "It's not fair that Lucy gets treated differently than I do! Weren't you two the ones who always said that we're equal and you wouldn't favor us?"

"Chris, please just calm down," Maka pleads, taking her son's hands gently. "You two are equal, and we're tried to treat you that way all of your lives."

"Then explain to me why you two have different disciplinary actions for two children that are 'equal,' please," he says harshly. "It's not fair at all!"

"I realize that," she says, squeezing his hands. "It's just... You and Felix have always been so good for me, and I've always been the harder of the two disciplinarians in this family. I didn't think I'd have to discipline you much, if ever. And Soul... He just knows more about demons, and he's the one that's the best able to handle Lucy's outbursts. He's easier on her because that's what she understands."

"Then why are you getting mad at me for this one small thing?" he asks in a hurt voice. "You said it yourself. I never get in trouble."

"Because you could've revealed yourself to the whole school," Soul inputs, sighing. "And then your sister would have to punish you for that. I don't want you to turn against one another."