Chapter Four

Soul groans to himself as he turns over in his bed, searching for his wife's form to snuggle against. Reaching a hand out, he doesn't feel her form on the mattress, and when he cracks an eye open, his suspicions are confirmed.

"Maka?" he calls, wondering if she's possibly in their bathroom. He receives no answer.

With another groan, he pushes himself up to a sitting position, dragging a hand through his hair to tame it down some. He makes his way to his feet and yawns as he passes through the hallway.

The scent of cinnamon travels to his nose and he smiles.

"What are you making? It smells amazing," he sighs, rounding the corner. His wife stands there, a pan full of delicious looking cinnamon rolls in hand.

"Good morning," she leans her cheek up as he kisses it, carefully setting the pan down. "I thought I'd make us breakfast. It's the first time all of us have been home at once in a long time."

"I'm just glad Lucy was able to get free for a little bit," he sighs.

"Who is watching over Hell?" Maka asks as she poured some icing over the top of her cinnamon rolls.

"His name is Xandeas," Soul leans over the counter, watching her as she lovingly made her meal. "Lucy appointed him a few weeks ago, and he's been an amazing help in rebuilding the castle. After Ahzurha, I wasn't sure she should be leaving, but he's a good kid."

"How old is he?" she asks, looking up to her husband curiously. Lucy had reigned for a long time, and Soul had told her many stories of demons who despised her because of her youth.

"He's sixteen, by human years," Soul says, watching her eyebrows lift in surprise. "But remember, we age differently in Hell. We are more matured. Sixteen years old here is close to twenty-something there."

"I always forget that," she mumbles, setting down her icing bowl as it was now empty. "You should go wake them up. Tell them I made breakfast."

He presses a quick kiss to her lips as he goes to do as she said. In the meantime, she puts her dirtied dishes in the dishwasher and cleans up the mess she made.

Felix is the first to make his way to the kitchen, his daughter rubbing tired eyes from his arms.

"Good morning, Fe," she offers and he presents her with a tired smile as he yawned. "Good morning, Christa."

"Morning!" she giggles, her perfectly pale skin just pinked around her cheeks.

The next to enter is the queen herself, grouchy as ever as she walked to the table.

"Good morning, Luce," her older brother murmurs, and she groans in return. She lays her head on the cold tablecloth and closes her eyes.

Next is the angel, who comes and sweeps her daughter from Felix's arms, her blonde hair mirrored by her child.

"Good morning, everyone," she says cheerfully, and a few choruses greet her ears, along with another moan from the table's direction. She presses a kiss to Felix's cheek, about the furthest display of affection she would ever do in front of his family.

Finally Soul returns with Christopher in tow, and a small brown haired girl walking meekly behind him.

"Look what the cat dragged in last night," Felix laughs, patting his brother on the head.

"Felix," he mutters, his cheeks blushing red. "Leave it alone."

"Good morning, Lynn," Maka says with a sneaky grin. The girl's face flushes bright red. Obviously she hadn't expected to get caught with Christopher.