Chapter 52

Kim pulled her leather jacket tighter around her as she walked towards Family Video with Steve and Robin, the beginning of fall breeze whipping through her dark hair

"You put your mom down as a reference?" Robin asked Steve, a small laugh in her voice.

"Yeah, why not?" Steve shrugged. "She's, like, super well-respected."

"You're such a dingus," Robin rolled her eyes.

"I think that with a new job, you have to come up with a new insult for Steve," Kim smirked.

"Fine," Robin said, opening the door to the store. "Pee brain, ass face, nincompoop. That's three."

"Wow, that's like a perfect description," Kim laughed.

"I hate both of you," Steve grumbled.

Robin slid her and Steve's resumes across the counter while Kim stood awkwardly to the side, not applying for a job but wanting to be there for emotional support.

"For the record, we weren't fired," Robin reminded the Family Video worker. Kim recognized him and was pretty sure his name was Keith. "The mall burned down and, like, killed a bunch of people."

"Thanks for sharing. Didn't know," Kieth said sarcastically. "Three favorite movies, go!"

Robin blinked rapidly, trying to think. "Uh, The Apartment, Hidden Fortress, Children of Paradise."
He nodded approvingly before pointing a finger at Steve. "You, go."

"Favorite movies?" Steve asked, looking over at Kim for help.

"Did I stutter?" Keith asked, eyes narrowed at the former king of Hawkin's High.

"Uh, Animal House for sure, um..." he looked over at Kim again.

Keith snapped his fingers in Steve's face. "Eyes on me, Harrington."

"Yeah, uh, Star Wars," Steve said, thinking of the many times Dustin had forced him to watch the movies.

"A New Hope?" Keith questioned.

"A new what now?" Steve asked.

Kim and Robin both put their heads in their hands. Steve really was hopeless. Cute, but hopeless.

"Which Star Wars?" Keith asked, enunciating each word so Steve would understand him.

"The one with the teddy bears. Duh."

"He means Return of the Jedi," Kim quickly clarified, trying to save her boyfriend from this god awful interview.

"Yeah, that one," Steve nodded. "Oh! The one that just came out. The movie that just came out. The one with DeLorean and Alex P. Keaton and he's trying to bang his mom. Uh, yeah, those are my top three. Classics."

Keith turned to Kim and looked at her in a way that made her a bit uncomfortable. "What about you? What are your three favorite movies?"

She shifted under his gaze a bit, but knew her answer right away. "Breakfast Club, The Outsiders, Just One of the Guys."