Chapter 46

Dustin and Erica burst into the bathroom, ruining the bonding moment

Dustin and Erica burst into the bathroom, ruining the bonding moment. "Okay. What the hell?" Dustin said, really feeling the strain of being the only responsible one.

Kim, Steve, and Robin looked at each other before collapsing in a fit of laughter. It felt like when you got scolded by a teacher for laughing with your friends, but you just kept laughing anyways. The strange trio couldn't have seemed more different to the world, but they worked so well together.

"We just have to stay in here until the movie is over and then blend in with the rest of the crowd until we're in the parking lot," Dustin explained.

The rest of the group nodded, knowing the film would be over soon and listening for the sound of excited movie goers.

•••••

"Blend," Dustin instructed, leading his friends out of the bathroom and into the middle of the talkative crowd.

"Well shit, that worked," Erica commented after no one immediately questioned them.

"Of course it worked," Dustin said confidently. "We just have to get on the bus with the rest of these plebes, and home sweet home, here we come."

"Uh, Dustin?" Steve said, absentmindedly intertwining his fingers with Kim's.

"What?" Dustin asked.

"Yeah, we might not wanna go to your house," Steve said.

"Why?"

"Well, some idiot thought it would be a great idea to tell the Russian's your full name," Kim narrowed her eyes at her boyfriend.

"What is wrong with you?" Dustin asked through clenched teeth.

"Dude, I was drugged," Steve defended.

"So?" Dustin asked, starting to panic now that another plan was about to go to hell.

"So?" Steve replied in the same voice as Dustin.

"So, you resist. You tough it out," Dustin ranted. "You tough it out like a man."

Steve rolled his eyes. "Oh, yeah, it's easy for you to say."

"Guys," Robin interrupted, her eyes glued to a group of Russian men guarding the mall exits.

"Abort," Dustin whispered, slowly back away. Almost as if the Russian had heard him, he looked up in the group's direction. "Abort!" Dustin said louder, starting to run with his friends right behind him.

Kim and Steve both grabbed one of Erica's hands wanting to make sure the youngest member of the Scoops Troop didn't get lost in the crowd. They sprinted towards the escalator, using the middle part as a slide to get away as quickly as possible.

Once they were in the food court, Kim led them behind the counter of a cookie and donut shop. Kim clung to Steve's hand, but pulled Dustin and Erica close to her with her free arm. Neither of the younger kids would admit it out loud, but they were terrified and Kim's arm was incredibly comforting. Dustin thought back to his glitchy conversation with Mike over his dying walky talky and wondered if anyone was coming to save them. Even though Robin was think about how insane it was that she was running from Russians, she would soon find out just how strange Hawkins could be. Kim knew that if no one was coming to save them, hiding behind the counter was only a temporary solution. Her dark eyes darted around for anything she could use as a weapon.

The Russian men prowled the food court. All of them were on high alert and looking for any sign of the troublesome group of five. One of them saw a flash of Steve's hair out of the corner of his eye. He signaled for his comrades to gather around, cornering the kids from all angles. Just as they were about to yell at the kids to come out with their hands in the air, a car alarm went off from the model car in the middle of the food court.

From up on the second floor of the mall, El stood with her hand outstretched and blood dripping from her nose. Behind her, Max, Mike, Lucas, Nancy, Will, and Jonathan stood proudly. With one small motion, El sent the fancy red car flying at the Russian men, crushing all of them to death.

The Scoop Troop hesitantly poked their heads above the counter, relieved smiles spreading across their faces when they saw who their rescuers were.

A.N. AHHHHHH! 10k reads! that's crazy you guys and i'm literally so happy! thank you so much and i love you all. also, the group's about to be reunited so that will be fun. anyways, hope you're enjoying the story so far!