Chapter 29

The wheels of the car screeched as Max rounded a corner, paying no attention to speed limits or other traffic laws

The wheels of the car screeched as Max rounded a corner, paying no attention to speed limits or other traffic laws. Kim clenched her jaw, trying desperately not to start yelling driving tips at the red head girl. She felt movement and looked down at her lap to see Steve starting to wake up.

"No, don't touch it," Kim instructed, pulling Steve's hand away from his battered face.

"Hey, buddy," Dustin smiled as Steve started to look around the car. "It's okay. You put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a good fight. You're okay."

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for a half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai," Lucas instructed from the shotgun seat.

"What's going on?" Steve asked, looking up at his girlfriend. "If you're here then who's driving?" Steve kept looking around until his eyes fell on their young driver. "Oh, my God!"

"Just relax," Kim said, gently pushing the hair out of his eyes. "She's driven before."

"Yeah, in a parking lot," Mike remened her.

"That counts," Lucas protested.

"Oh, my God!" Steve repeated.

"They were gonna leave us behind, so calm down before they kick us out of the car," Kim told him.

"I promised that you'd be cool, okay?" Dustin added, noticing just how much Steve was starting to freak out.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. What's going on?" Steve panicked. "Oh, my God! No! Whoa! Stop the car! Slow down!"

"I told you he'd freak out," Mike said, yelling across Kim and Steve at Dustin. "We should have just brought Kim. She's the cool parent!"

"Stop the car!" Steve screamed, clinging on to Kim like his life depended upon it. Seeing how he wasn't wearing a seat belt, it probably did.

"Everybody shut up!" Max screamed over Steve's cries. "I'm trying to focus!"

"Oh, wait, that's Mount Sinai," Lucas yelled. "Make a left. Make a left!"

"Shit," Max muttered, cranking the wheel as hard as she could and running over a mailbox in the process. When they finally got to their destination Max slammed on the brakes and nearly sent Lucas flying through the windshield.

"Incredible," Mike panted.

"I told you. Zoomer," Max replied, opening the door and getting out.

"She knows that's just a fancy of saying getaway driver, right?" Kim asked, starting out of the car as well. She popped the trunk and they quickly started putting on goggles and bandanas, totally ignoring Steve's groans of protest.

"What, are you all deaf?" he yelled, leaning against Billy's car for support. "Hello? We're not going down there. I made myself clear. Hey, there's no chance we're going through that hole, alright? This ends right now!"