Chapter 37

"What the hell do you think is in there?" Kim asked, looking around at the boxes in the storage room

Steve didn't reply, just pulled a box cutter out of his pocket and cut the tape that sealed the package. Inside the cardboard box was another box, this one made of metal. Steve hesitantly opened the second box and the quintet peered in, trying to get a better look. "That's definitely not Chinese food," Steve muttered. "Uh, maybe you guys should, you know, stand back."

Robin and Erica backed away, but Dustin and Kim stood their ground.

"Just step back, okay?" Steve told the Henderson siblings. "Step back, seriously."

"No," Dustin said, getting his stubbornness from his older sister. "If you die, I die."

Steve shrugged. "Okay. What about you, Kimmy? You plan on dying with me?"

"You already know I have no regard for my own safety," Kim answered, reaching into the box. "So just move out of the way, pretty boy, and let me open the damn thing."

Steve put his hands up in surrender as Kim pulled out a glowing, green, vial. The green liquid almost seemed to bubble, probably being some type of deadly chemical.

"What is that?" Robin asked.

The elevator they were standing in rumbled, shaking the group. Kim held on tighter to the green vial, afraid of what would happen if she dropped it.

"Was that just me, or did the room move?" Dustin asked, looking around the elevator for signs of what had just happened.

"Booby traps," Erica whispered, looking genuinely scared for the first time.

The elevator shook again and Steve grabbed Kim's hand.

Robin snatched the vial from Kim's hand and started for the door. "You know what? Let's just grab that and go."

Dustin nodded, walking over to the control panel. "Which one do I press, Erica?"

"Just press the damn button, nerd," Erica said.

Dustin punched the buttons frantically, but nothing happened. "Which one? I'm pressing the button, okay?"

"Press 'open door'!" Erica yelled.

"I'm pressing 'open door'!" Dustin argued back.

Kim rolled her yes, shoving her brother out of her way so she could try. "Why isn't it working?" Kim asked after repeatedly slamming the button a few times.

Steve came over to try and help, but only added to the chaos now that too many people were trying to get the door open. Steve hit the middle button, one that none of them had tried yet, and another metal door closed around the elevator. The lights flickered like when a demogorgon was near before the elevator started to drop.