Chapter 6

Kim and Nancy walked into the funeral home, both feeling incredibly awkward but knowing they had to talk to Jonathan

"Hey," he said nervously, really not wanting to be yelled at by the two girl, no matter how much he knew he deserved it.

"Hey," Kim said quietly. "Your mom, um, she said you'd be here. We just- Can we talk for a second?"

The three sat down in the hallway and Nancy showed him the picture of Barb and Kim sitting by the pool that she had taped back together.

"I mean, it looks like it could be some kind of perspective distortion, but I wasn't using a wide angle. I don't know. It's weird."

Nancy took the picture back from him with a sigh. "And you're sure you didn't see anyone else out there?"

"No," Jonathan replied, still feeling awkward around the two girls. "She was there one second and then, um, gone. I figured she bolted."

"The cops think that she ran away," Nancy told him. "But they don't know Barb. And I went back to Steve's and I thought I saw something."

"Wait, you didn't tell me about that in the car," Kim said, looking at her friend.

Nancy felt a little bit bad, but she hadn't wanted Kim to think she was crazy. "It was just some weird man or- I don't know what it was. I'm sorry. I-We shouldn't have come here today. I'm so sorry."

"What'd he look like?" Jonathan blurted as the girls started to walk away.

"What?" Kim asked, not knowing why Jonathan cared.

"This man you saw in the woods," Jonathan clarified. "What'd he look like?"

"I-I don't know," Nancy stammered, closing her eyes and trying to picture it more clearly. "It was almost like he didn't have-"

"Didn't have a face?' Jonathan finished, terror on his face.

"How did you know that?" Nancy asked. She didn't know what was scarier, her going crazy or that thing she saw actually being real.

•••••

The three teens stood in the photography room at school, trying to enlarge the image of Kim and Barb and see if the shadowy figure in the background was what Nancy had really seen.

"And you're-?" Nancy started to ask Jonathan, knowing nothing about photography.

"Brightening, enlarging," Jonathan explained.

"Did your mom say anything else?" Kim asked, still trying to understand what Nancy and Mrs. Byer's had seen, and how it could relate to Eleven. "Like, um, where it might have gone to?"

Jonathan shook his head as he fiddled with the photography equipment. "No, just that it came out of the wall."

"Great," Kim said sarcastically. "There are monsters that live in our walls now."

"That's it," Nancy gasped once the photo was fully developed. "That's what I saw."

It was shadowy and a bit blurry, but there was definitely a creature in the background. Kim felt sick as she looked at it. She should have stayed out there with Bard instead of going to the bathroom to have a breakdown about Steve. She should have at least made Barb come inside with her.

"My mom," Jonathan said, still staring at the picture. "I thought she was crazy cause she said that's not Will's body. That he's alive."

"If your mom was right about this," Kim said, thinking about the whimpers she had heard over the walky talky at Mike's house. "Then maybe she's right about Will."

"And if he's alive-" Nancy started to say.

"-then Barbra could be alive too," Jonathan finished, looking at the fear-stricken best friends.