Chapter 17

~~~~

~~~~

Just like the Maze, this all had to be a really bad dream, a nightmare. This was not the kind of expectation of our future that I had hoped would come to pass. None of us deserved this. Just a couple of hours ago, we were having the best time of our lives, only to have that taken away from us. W.I.C.K.E.D. always wants to destroy anything that made us happy. Minho made me happy. And now, he is gone. Half of The Right Arm was gone like clock work.

Since there was nothing left to do, the remaining survivors and I started cleaning up around the camp. We moved the bodies of our loved ones to be buried, W.I.C.K.E.D. soldiers to be burned. We were picking up whatever was still useful to make it work. We worked our tails off until sunrise. None of us spoke a word to each other, our minds were occupied on a lot of things. I was wandering around the camp, helping to find what we could use. I stumbled upon the place where Minho had pushed me to save my life.

I saw the broken rifle on the ground, the scope half buried in the sand. I bent down to pick it up, shaking the little grains out of it. I didn't know how to feel or how to react. I wanted to cry. Scream. Sulk in the corner. Blame the universe for letting this happen. Why did this happen? Why did Teresa betray us? She wanted to find a cure, to fix all of this as she had said. But this wasn't the way to do it. Sacrificing young immunes was not the answer.

Feeling frustrated at everything and everyone, I clenched the broken scope in my hand, my knuckles turning white. I let out a growl as I chucked it in the other direction as far as I could. It lightly thudded in the sand about five yards away. I was so angry at all of this. I was angry at W.I.C.K.E.D., Teresa, Rat Man, Ava Paige. I hated how we've always felt powerless against those bastards. How they dictated us, controlled us, used us for testing. I didn't want them coming after us. Find another way for a cure, but for God's sakes, leave us alone.

After a couple hours of being silent to mourn the deaths of our friends and collecting what was left of our once stable home, I sat down beside Frypan. I unknowingly leaned my head into his shoulder, feeling empty. This place that was the hope now turned to despair. My eyes were dried out, so I had no tears left to cry. I had a massive headache, I felt tired like I just wanted to give up.

"What do we do now?" Frypan suddenly asked.

Yeah, what do we do now? There was nothing left for us. W.I.C.K.E.D. made sure of that. There was no future, our plans were erased; the candle had burned out.

"Well, we pick up what's left of us," Vince answered sadly. "We stick to the plan. We get you kids to the safe haven. Then we start over, I guess."

I wanted to go against that, but I didn't have it in me. For once, I was agreeing with it. What could we do against those guys? They had more people, more power, more dominance. We couldn't do anything to stop them, even if we have given everything we've got. Besides, I wasn't sure what to think anymore. Just starting over like that, having no motivation to save everyone. I mean, I wanted to save Minho. I wanted to believe we could try again. But I couldn't see it. We were done for.

"I'm not going with you," Thomas suddenly said, standing up to his feet and put a satchel over his head.

We looked at him silently.

"What?" Vince said.

Thomas tightened the bag over his chest as he spoke matter-of-fact.

"I made a promise to Minho. I wouldn't leave him behind. I have to go after him."

"Hey, kid, look around you." Vince tried getting him to see what just happened. "W.I.C.K.E.D. just kicked our ass. You think about where you're headed."

Thomas shrugged his shoulders, speaking calmly and dryly.

"I'm not asking anyone to come with me."

I glanced to Newt, who seemed just as doubtful as the rest of us. I was feeling doubt in myself. I, a person who was supposed to believe in miracles, was beginning to think this was hopeless.

"Thomas, listen to me," Newt said. "I've known Minho for... Well, as long as I can remember. So, if there was any way that we could help him, trust me, I would be up there standing next to you. This, what you're talking about, is impossible."

"More like suicide," Jorge corrected.

All of these sad comments that were painfully true didn't seem to make Thomas give up. That's how it's always been with him, being optimistic. Always looking for a new hope. Searching for a way to believe he knew was impossible like Newt had said.

"Maybe," he said. "But I know what I'm supposed to do now."

He picked up the rifle next to him, speaking in a new manner as he stood in the middle of the campsite.

"It's not just about Minho. It's about all of us. It's about everyone W.I.C.K.E.D.'s ever taken, everyone they will take. They'll never stop. They'll never stop, so I'm gonna stop them."

This burning sensation of a new hope circled in my chest, flowing outward in my veins. I could see Frypan and Newt's faces light up. They started believing again. I guess little words of encouragement did the trick. We just needed a push in the right direction.

"I'm gonna kill Ava Paige," Thomas claimed.

Something about the way he talked made it seem to give him courage and power. I nodded, agreeing with him. He was right. Someone had to stop these slintheads, or no one would. I didn't want to see anymore lives ruined, no more kids tortured. No more people killed. No more lies. This time, it was our turn to speak louder. We were going to take the power back. We were going to take justice into our own hands and avenge the ones who couldn't be here. We were going to make them listen and see what we wanted them to. They couldn't degrade us any longer. I hadn't realized I slowly began to smile, liking the idea to take away their freedom. To strip away their power. To watch them fall.

"I have to admit... I'd like some revenge," Harriet said.

I gave her an approving nod. Harriet seemed to roll with it. I looked at Frypan. He nodded at me. He agreed. I glanced at Newt. He slowly took my hand in his, confirming his answer. He was ready. I happen to see Brenda and Jorge nod at me. They were committed. As for our fearless man, Thomas was determined to get everyone back if it was the last thing he did. He was obviously in.

"Well, that's a good speech, kid," Vince commented. "So, what's your plan?"

Every one of us turned our attention to Thomas. I could tell he didn't have a clue. But for now, we were going to lay low and wait. Wait for those sons of bitches to come after us. If they tried breaking our rules, then we were going to make them sit in the corner. They didn't get to do this to us, not anymore. So what were we going to do if they kept trying to take us down? We were going to fight until the very end. I was ready to fight for what I believed. Even if it means I sacrifice myself. It may not be today, it may not be tomorrow. But I was going to kill every single one of them if it is the last thing I do.