10 Minutes Was 15 Minutes Ago

I'm starting to believe that the whole mate thing has now become something of an urban legend.

I am 25 years old and I still haven't found my mate yet! I've attended countless annual mating parties like the Awakening of Love and Mate Acknowledgment (or ALMA) Receptions since the age of 21 and nothing. Absolutely nothing! How hideous am I? Why am I not successful at finding the one meant for me?

Earlier this year, I was invited to attend the exclusive Lunar Mating Reception, held just for un-mated werewolves reaching the age of 25 and above. That reception is just a few weeks away and I am not even remotely entertaining the idea of finding him. Why? Because I am secretly convinced he is dead, or better... not even born yet.

I know, I know, you readers might think I am being melodramatic but do you know what it is like to go home alone with nothing but a box of dark chocolate as a consolation mate? No, you don't! So I choose to believe that he is not born yet! The question is, would I have the patience to wait for him? Could I remain sane waiting for a mate who might show up 10 years from now or who might never show up at all?

My phone is ringing as I am running this last question through my mind...

Veronica

Eva, what are you doing right now?

Me

What am I doing? I'm packing! That's what I'm doing!

Veronica

I'm so happy you decided to join us this year! It's going to be fun Eva!

Me

Cool! If you say so

Veronica

Don't forget to pack some glam dresses and party ones as well! The code is Dressed-To-Kill

Me

Yet I am...

Veronica

Super! We'll be by your place in less than 10 min...

I stare at my phone screen. Who even says "super" these days? Veronica is so odd sometimes! With my mind now racing at 100 miles per minute, I quickly pack my suitcase for this last-minute fun getaway to Vegas. Two of my friends managed to convince my reclusive and lazy she-wolf ass to a last-minute trip to Las Vegas. If I don't find my mate again this year, at least I would have partied like an animal in Vegas. Within 5 minutes, I was done and ready to go. Here I am waiting for my best friend's tardy ass in front of my house. The car finally pulls over.

"10 minutes, was 15 minutes ago, Veronica! You're late as per usual!"

"It's not my fault! I have to endure Kate's brother's lecture on being safe and careful when clubbing in Vegas!" Veronica shouted, pointing her finger towards Kate, who is sitting next to her in the passenger seat!

"Yep! My brother John is a professional at telling scary warning stories. He is getting worse by the year..." Kate added to finishing Veronica's sentence.

"Oh, that's for sure Kate."

"What dark and twisted horror stories has he been telling this time?" my curious self asks as I make myself comfortable in the back seat.

"Oh, the usual-"

"-No! No! No! Don't even think about repeating what your brother said! You know he has a very active and wild imagination and the last thing we need in this car right now is to scare Ms. Eva Rice in the back seat. It took a month to convince her to come on this trip!" Veronica states as she passionately waves her hands through her dramatic speech. "Just shaking my head Veronica! Just shaking my head! Let's go, darling! Start the car!"