O N E

Kalon:
The kind of beauty that is more than skin deep.
•─────✧─────•

Chapter 1: The painting.

ONYX'S POV.

"Shit!" I jump up from the bed; I had woken up late again. Erica is going to kill me!I hurriedly take a shower, then dress in an oversized sweater with plain jeans. 

I come downstairs and take a thankful breath;none of them are at home or they have visitors.I'm only safe when they have visitors; they wouldn't want to be seen as bad parents, that's the main reason I wear long sleeves.

I have scars from their cuts on my arms, mostly on my wrists. Sometimes they use knives, sometimes they punch me depending on how their day went.

A twenty-two- year- old still living with her parents, I thought to myself, remembering the past; what a sad story. When I was seventeen, I was beaten so badly that I was sent to the hospital.The officer asked why I had cut marks on my body, and my parents told him I was suicidal. 

The government decided I needed to stay with my parents until they found a suitor for me. And now I'm still with living with my crazy father,  evil stepmother, and a slutty half-sister.

"ONYX DARLING!" They definitely have visitors, Erica never calls me 'darling' unless she needs to be seen as the perfect mother of the year. 

"Good morning," I greet, putting on a fake smile. A, a man and a woman dressed in formal business suits sits down on the leather couch,warm smiles plastered on their faces. Perhaps they're from the government?

"This is our daughter, Onyx," says Erica, as she squeezes my shoulders softly., My father smiles at me, a fatherly smile, acting as if  he hadn't try to rape my last night. I shiver at the memory, my arms wrapping around myself instinctively, as if it can protect me from the devils.

The lady might’ve thought that I was scared of her. "Onyx, I'm Stella," says the brown- haired woman, her expression patient like treating a cornered animal. she stares at me for a second, then at my father. "Redheads are very rare," she comments. My father and I shared the same hair color while my mother and I had the same emerald eyes. "I'm sorry to say this and no offense,” continues the woman, “But she looks nothing like you.

 Erica’s eyes turn cold for just a single moment, before she masks the murderous expression with  a smile. 

"Her mother died during childbirth." 

I cringe. Maybe if I had my mother, my life would have been easier. 

"Oh, then Mr. Turner married you after her death?" Stella asks, ignoring  Erica's glare.

"Yes," she lies. 

I hold down the urge to spit at the woman. My father was actually engaged to Erica before he had my mother as his secretary. One thing led to another and they had sex, I was born, but she, unfortunately, died in the hospital.

"Now shall we move to the important discussion?" my father says, clasping  his hands together. I take that as a silent 'get out' gesture, andI turn to leave, but Stella reaches out and holds  my elbow.

 "This involves her," Stella says. 

Erica frowns. "When you said your son was interested in my daughter, did you mean Onyx?" 

Stella nods once, her smile widening. 

Erica stands up abruptly,  rage darkening her eyes. "She has a mental illness!" she says, her voice raising, her words sharpening.