Chapter 59: The Moment

They lost in the Inter High finals.

The Karasuno girls found themselves up against Niiyama in the finals, and it was grueling five set match. The girls gave it their all and exhausted themselves, pulling every trick they knew out of the book, but it still wasn't enough. Niiyama had some powerful rookies, and Kinomi had improved significantly since Mikaela had played her last.

It was weird. Last year, when they'd lost to Niiyama, Mikaela had been angry about it for weeks afterwards. Now, she was content to shake hands and congratulate them on a good game. Funny how things changed.

As captain, Mikaela couldn't practice with the boys an awful lot. She was too busy trying to come up with new strategies to teach and new things to work on. Between helping everyone else on the team improve and trying to get stronger herself, she had her hands full. Luckily, she had a whole arsenal of strategies and plays from her time as manager that she was more than eager to dive into.

One late Wednesday night, Mikaela was curled up in her basement, watching a movie. Nothing out of the ordinary. What was strange was the amount of texts on her phone when she checked it after the movie was done.

"What the..." Mikaela muttered, scrolling through her texts.

There were texts from twelve different people, and Mikaela's heart hammered in her chest. The last time she'd gotten this many texts, it was because that video went viral. There were texts from Yamaguchi, Atsumu, Hinata, Hiba, and a few other girls on the team. Nervously, Mikaela clicked on the oldest text- Somi.

Somi Yoruzio (19:24): Congrats Captain! This is awesome!

Somi Yoruzio (19:24): *link attached*

Mikaela frowned and clicked on the link.

Volleyball Monthly?...

Suddenly very excited, Mikaela flipped through the pages of the magazine until she got to the top players. To her delight, Kageyama was titled the number one setter in Japan. It was expected, of course. Mikaela flipped past that and to the girls' section, and when her eyes scanned the page, she screamed. "Mom! Mom!"

Mikaela leaped off her couch and dashed up the stairs, rounding the corner and throwing herself into her mom's office. "I'm a bit busy, Kaisha," her mother said, looking up from her computer.

"I'm number one!" Mikaela cried out, holding out her phone. She was grinning ear to ear. "I'm the number one ace in Japan!"

She didn't even wait for her mother's response- she needed to tell someone who would be just as excited as she was. Her fingers hovered over her contacts- who to call? Her thumb brushed over Atsumu's number, then Kageyama's. Mikaela steeled herself and called her boyfriend.

She was number one. In all of Japan. Japan.

It felt like she was on cloud nine.

-------

Mikaela-chan;

I got the go ahead. You can play in university. The board has been informed of such.

Stay in touch.

Hujita Yahanaba

Mikaela screamed.

"Mom!"

"Now what?!"

"I can play in university!"

Okay, now she really was on cloud nine.

-------

All the third years had to take their main rounds of exams soon afterwards. Admittedly, Mikaela put a lot more time into volleyball than studying, and her mother wasn't going to stand for it. Monomi put her onto a more rigorous study schedule, and although she complained about it, it definitely helped bring her grades up. Mikaela made it through exams with high marks, as did Tsukishima, Yachi, and Yamaguchi.