Chapter 32: The Finals

Mikaela was more freaked out about the finals than she was willing to admit. The bus ride was even worse than the last one- the tension levels were the highest she'd ever seen them, and the ominous sinking feeling seemed to swallow the team whole.

"Nervous?" she asked Kageyama as the bus pulled to a stop.

He shook his head. "No, why?"

"Because any sane person would be nervous right about now," Mikaela joked, punching him lightly in the shoulder. "The fact that you're not is making me nervous."

Kageyama frowned. "Why would you be nervous?"

She groaned, moving down the bus aisle and down the steps. "I think you're going to be the only one on this team that isn't nervous at all."

"If you say so," he muttered. She paused once she got off the bus and waited for Kageyama to join her. They walked side by side with the rest of the Karasuno team towards the gymnasium entrance. "Are you nervous for your surgery?" he asked.

Mikaela shrugged. "Yeah, I guess. Oh, did I mention that Mom's not coming?"

Kageyama stiffened. "She's not? Why?"

"Work, obviously." Mikaela bit her lip. "I don't really care either way-"

"Wait- Kaela, your mom isn't going with you?" Yamaguchi asked, sliding up next to the pair of cousins. He frowned. "Who's going to be there with you?"

"I am-" Kageyama started, raising her hand, and Mikaela swatted at his hand.

"No. No way are you coming. You're staying with the team for the closing ceremonies and going home like everyone else." Mikaela jammed her hands into her jacket pockets. "I'll be fine. You can come up and visit after you go home and get a good night's sleep. This is a five set game, you're going to be exhausted."

Hinata popped up on the other side of Kageyama. "Wow! We get to play five whole sets?"

"Or you could beat them in three," Mikaela suggested with a grin.

Hinata nodded eagerly. "I'm so pumped!" His smile fell. "Wait, are you going to be in the hospital alone?"

She shrugged. "Oikawa and Iwaizumi are walking me to the train station," a collective shudder fell over the group at the mention of Oikawa's name, "and Kuroo's picking me up when I'm there and taking me to the hospital."

Yamaguchi blinked. "We're putting your life in the hands of Kuroo from Nekoma?"

"That's a bad idea," Tsukishima remarked, sliding up to the other side of Yamaguchi.

She glared at him. "Since when were you a part of this conversation?"

"Do you have Kuroo's number?" Kageyama asked. She shook her head. "How's he know when to pick you up?"

"I told him the time," Mikaela said quickly, not wanting to spark any arguments of the sort, not right before their game. "He knows where." She turned her head towards Hinata, who was typing furiously on his phone. "Shoyo," she said, frowning, "what are you doing?"

"Texting Kenma."

Tsukishima (curse him and his height) peered over the orange-haired boy's shoulder. His blank face morphed into a smirk. "Well, he isn't lying," he said coyly, glancing at Mikaela.

Her jaw locked. "Shoyo, what are you texting him?"

"You'll say no," he mumbled, slinking away from the group.

"You're doing it anyways!"

She leaned forwards but Kageyama cut her off, glancing at his teammate's phone. He raised his eyebrows. "Ah. Smart."