Chapter 31: The Internal Struggle

"I can't do this."

Kageyama tilted his head towards her, frowning. "Can't do what?"

Mikaela waved her hands above her head. "This."

He shrugged. "I don't follow."

"Never mind," Mikaela mumbled, slumping back into her seat.

Kageyama shrugged and turned back to the game in front of them, Aoba Johsai versus Date Tech. Karasuno had successfully taken down Wakunan, even though they dropped the second set. Mikaela and Daichi had managed to return for the last few points, but when Mikaela had asked Daichi if he wanted to get ready to go back on, he'd just smiled and said the team was doing fine.

Karasuno was onto the semi finals. Their next match would be against the winner of this game, and Mikaela had no doubt in her mind that Oikawa and Iwaizumi would come out on top.

The problem was, she wanted both of them to go to nationals.

Her eyes trailed to the court as the gigantic setter on Date Tech's team set the ball much too high for his hitter. Yes, she knew that she was a part of the Karasuno team, and yes, she was completely confident in their abilities, and yes, she wanted them to win, but...

"I'm going to go sit with Hinata," Kageyama said, and she nodded to him as he got up, moving towards the front row to sit with the short middle blocker. Mikaela didn't blame him- she'd been nothing but moody for the past couple minutes.

Mikaela groaned loudly and slumped further into her seat as Blue Castle scored another point.

I hate feelings.

"I haven't seen you look this miserable since you were forced to tell Kuroo about your leg."

She glanced up to see Tsukishima standing in front of her, wearing his Karasuno uniform with his jacket pulled on over top. He had switched from his sports goggles to his regular glasses again. "Oh. Tsukishima. Hey," she said, trying to put some energy into her voice.

He sat down in Kageyama's vacant seat, leaning back into the chair and studying the game in front of them. "What's wrong with you?" he asked, crossing his arms.

Mikaela snorted. "Careful, it almost sounds like you care."

"I don't," Tsukishima replied, his eyes following the volleyball as it moved across the court. "I just know I'm going to be the one receiving all your complaints so I may as well get them now before they get worse."

She glared at him. "Says you. Daichi said you've been complaining about me."

Whatever Tsukishima had been about to say got caught in his throat. He coughed awkwardly and glared at the court in front of them. "Captain said that?" he said with a scoff, the tips of his ears burning red. "Don't believe everything you hear."

"So he lied?"

Tsukishima clicked his tongue. "I didn't say that. Stop twisting my words."

"I wasn't!"

"You were."

Mikaela sighed, a smile ghosting her lips. "Whatever you say, moron."

Tsukishima rolled his eyes, and the pair fell into silence. Cheers erupted from the court as Aoba Johsai hit the twenty point mark. "So?" Tsukishima prompted.

She shrugged. "Well, for one thing, I fell really guilty for living at your place almost two nights a week."

"We've been over this. It's fine."

"I know, but still."

"You're dodging."

"What? No I'm not."