Chapter 21: Attempted Escape

Alex and Jack ditched their environmental suits, but the twins had no time to change. Grabbing Sara's necklace, Seth's device and the information that they needed to bring back to Noulea, Elevena's hand was gripped by someone whose body was far too tense.

They were hiding, waiting for the squadron of soldiers to pass through before they came out again. Sara was hiding with Alex and Jack between the crates on the other side of the dimly lit tunnel, but all she could focus on was how close she was to unraveling.

She didn't know how to tell him how terrified she was losing him, how it felt when he was taken away from her. Everything was catching up to her and she knew she was a minute away from losing it.

Sensing her fear-laced distress, he pressed his nose against her hair in an attempt to distract her while his thumbs rubbed comforting circles into her stomach.

"You can not leave my side." He commanded under his breath as her pulse finally slowed, unvoiced fears never making it to the surface.

"Seth, it's alright." She mumbled to him so that the others didn't hear as he molded his chest against her back. "We're all together. We can do this together."

He didn't have to explicitly say how terrified he was of losing her, or how much he doubted this plan would succeed. They were most likely going to be killed on sight, and while she didn't particularly care if she lost her life, the idea of him dying was too much for her to bear.

And Elevena knew what he was feeling without him saying it, because that exact same fear was reflected in him too.

Seth relaxed slightly, choosing to believe her words. It was better than the alternative, which came with crippling anxiety about the consequences if things didn't go their way and he would choose her comfort over the reality of their odds just this once.

Still in their white, medical clothing, the twins zipped down the now empty hallway with the two adults and raven-haired teen in tow, eventually coming to another part of the facility where their spaceship was, thanks to the tracking capabilities on Seth's handheld device.

Meanwhile, they were oblivious to the battle raging on the other side.

"Move!!"

"What is that?!?!"

"We've lost all contact with the Bravo Team!!"

"Hurry!!

But back at the area that held the twins' spaceship, they were having their own issue. It was far more crowded with staff than they had anticipated with personnel studying the ship from all angles. There was no way they could all sneak in there without getting caught, let alone start up a ship that was the size of the enormous room.

"We have to hurry." Sara urged quietly, looking over her shoulder for anyone who followed them, but so far, luck was on their side.

"Well tell them that." Jack countered with sarcasm dripping off every word.

Alex tilted her head, a light bulb going off in her head. "Good idea."

Before he could stop her, she grabbed a coat she found lying around and threw it on. Elevena shared a puzzled look with Seth as Alex strolled in the densely populated area, spitting out facts to get them to leave the ship's hanger, using Henry Burke's authority to get them to move.

"Elevena." Seth started, eyes boring into hers. "There is something I must tell you."

She waited for him to continue, but the opportunity was gone in the blink of an eye as Alex returned, ushering them all towards the spaceship. All of the personnel were gone, and she lifted an eyebrow, thoroughly impressed.

Seth and Sara climbed up on one of the cranes that enabled them to reach the outside rim of their ship.

He nearly dragged his mate up with him, furiously refusing to be separated from her again, but Sara convinced him it wasn't a good idea.

"Seth, come on." Sara tried to reason with him. "We need to get out of here."

The fear in her eyes leveled his head and he caved, rushing up the ladder in his haste to start it up. His device connected automatically to the side of the ship, triggering the consecutive action in order to start it.

The ship began to hum to life, and the twins climbed back down as a bridge of light touched down on the ground.

Elevena was in awe. She thought nothing could be better than the forest that was inside that shack, but she was wrong.

It seems like there will always be something. They all are beautiful in their own way.

But the sound of guns cocking made her freeze the minute she took a step and her eyes widened when she realized how far away she was from the rest of them. The four of them were on the bridge. In fact, they were nearly inside the ship when they found out that she wasn't with them.

Elevena cursed herself for getting distracted, so much so that she almost missed the movement.

Frantically, she shook her head for Seth to stop trying to get to her. She knew she was a lost cause, but they could still make it out of here if she gave the others something to aim for. Holding her hands up in surrender, she winced as they yanked her arms behind her back, cuffing her immediately and binding her feet so that she couldn't run.

"No funny business." A soldier sneered at her and she refrained from spitting in his face.

She hung her head. To the outside, it appeared that she had been beaten, but Sara knew better than that.

What is the plan?

The blonde girl didn't reveal anything as the details were worked out and then put into play. However, her eyes grew cold when she saw the soldier poke Elevena with the muzzle of his firearm.

But Seth.

Seth's eyes were black with rage as they restrained her, and a snarl curled back viciously as they touched her. His mate.

His mate.

He had promised her he would keep her safe, and he was going to follow through with the promise he made, no matter what it cost him. He owed it to her.

There were too many guns pointed at her head and if he so much as moved another inch, she wouldn't be breathing anymore.

Stay calm, Seth.

I am going to murder every single one of them, Sara. Do not stop me.

Who said anything about stopping you? I do believe I am joining you.