Chapter 19: Witch Mountain

They arrived without much fanfare. Seth made sure to clean him and his mate up before exiting the trailer. She giggled as he licked his lips suggestively, heat rising to her face as he swiped the remnants of her wetness with his tongue.

Elevena breathed out a curse and he chuckled darkly, eyes turning back to their usual shade of cerulean once the others yelled that they were ready to go.

Sara and Elevena fell into a fit of laughter, undoubtedly communicating with their minds due to Sara's gift once they stepped outside and he just shook his head fondly at the two of them, petting Junkyard absentmindedly.

His sister was the one who was attached to the dog, but he had grown pretty fond of the animal over time. After all, he only wanted to see her happy and if a canine was the way to do it, then he would acquire as many as it took to secure her happiness.

The five of them trekked through miles of the wilderness after hiding the trailer as best as they could with the brush. Junkyard also stayed behind. As much as Sara wanted him to come along, they all knew that it would be best for the canine to stay behind; and ward off anyone who came near the mobile home.

The group tried to be as discreet as they possibly could, since they were on government property, but it was hard to do with their numbers.

Elevena couldn't shake the feeling that they were being watched, but she pushed it aside, chalking it up to paranoia from the recent events that included her being held at gunpoint. But it was eerily quiet and calm, unsettling her once more and this time, Seth's presence did nothing to comfort her.

Crossing rushing rivers, they hiked through the concealed path leading up to the mountain. Jack and Alex broke off, taking a look at the military entrance down below that was the one of the only ways in and out of Witch Mountain.

Elevena stayed with the twins, running the pads of her fingers on the inside of Seth's palm to keep herself grounded. She couldn't afford to lose her head. Not now. There was too much riding on this.

Her mate took a deep breath. They were so close to getting home and his heart hurt at the idea of leaving her when he went back.

It is for her safety. He reminded himself, simultaneously harshly and dejectedly.

Forcing that unwelcome thought from his head, he allowed himself to be suspended in her company, so much so that he barely realized Jack and Alex had come back.

And that split second where he was distracted was his mistake.

As they all turned to find another way into the government facility, Sara was hit out of nowhere.

"Jack..." She called out weakly before her body collapsed to the ground.

Elevena cried out, trying to catch her friend in time but she wasn't fast enough. Her face paled and her mouth dropped open in a soundless scream of anguish as Seth dropped down next. His eyes were closed and there was a dart protruding from his neck.

She couldn't tell whether or not he was breathing.

They were surrounded in seconds by soldiers and Elevena froze at the sight of the guns. Flashes of the alleyway and the scene of gunpowder flooded her senses and her breathing quickened uncontrollably, panic welling up in her chest.

Everything sounded like it was underwater as she tried to regain control over her mind.

Alex and Jack tried to stop them from taking the twins, but to no avail. Jack punched a few soldiers in a desperate attempt to get to Sara, but was overwhelmed by all the others before he could get to her. Alex tried to reason with Burke to let them go, but he blackmailed them into keeping quiet, using Jack's status as a convicted felon and the doctor's failed attempt at making her mark on the science field to strong arm them into submission.