Centaur Blood? Really?

I burst into my cabin, half expecting to see Percy. Instead, Connor Stoll sat on the side of my bed.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Good to see you too, Cascades," he said.

"Sorry," I ran my fingers through my hair, trying to tie it up.

"Look," he said. "You guys are down one soldier."

"What?"

"That shirt me and Travis gave to the big girl, we filled it with centaur blood."

"WHAT?"

He put his hands up. "She's fine!"

"Ah, dude!" I smacked his arm. "Where'd you even get centaur blood? Do you know what that can do to you?"

"Relax, Cassette Tape," he said. It was rare the occasion that the Stolls actually called me by my real name. "She just has hives. She won't be going though."

"Well, who's replacing her?"

"No one," he said. "They're leaving without her."

For a group that seemed so tight knit, it seemed strange to me that they would leave her behind just like that. The clock on the nightstand indicated that Thalia would be at my cabin any minute.

"You better get out of here before the Hunters come looking for you," I told Connor.

He nodded and got up. He offered me his hand and I also got up.

"Good luck, Cas," he hugged me tightly. "Try to come back alive."

"I'll do my best."

I didn't want to let go, mostly because I was feeling pretty nervous about leaving camp. Connor could probably feel me shaking with anxiety.

"You'll be fine," he assured. "If we weren't friends, I'd be running at fifty an hour as soon as your green eyes pierced through mine."

I laughed and he pulled away.

"I'm serious, dude," He said. "You have a deadly glare, I think even Travis gets scared sometimes."

Connor made his was towards the window, where his body was halfway out.

"Peace out, Stoll," I said.

"Bye, Cassidy."

-

Bianca, Thalia, Grover, Zoë and I were at the base of Half Blood Hill, where Argus was there to see us off. He jingled the keys in his hand and both Thalia and Zoë grabbed for them. Zoë got them first.

"Thy driving skills are not adequate," he said. "The sun chariot was example enough."

Thalia grumbled something under her breath but didn't protest.

We said goodbye to Argus and climbed aboard the white van that belonged to the camp. Thalia and Grover sat in the back with me.

"I think we'd move a little faster if you start the car," Thalia suggested.

Zoë glared at her. "I do not know which way we start."

Grover bleated nervously. "Well, I did a tracking spell this morning and I think we should head down, towards Maryland."

"Okay," Thalia said. "Let's get going."

"And why should we trust thine tracking skills, satyr?" Zoë asked.

"Well, none of us have any better ideas," I said. "Might as well start somewhere."

After an awkward moment of silence, Zoë started the car. We made our way past the camp barriers and into the real world.