Don't Get Killed or I'll Kill You

Since I had already packed my bookbag, I scanned the room for my notebook. When my eyes landed on it, I quickly grabbed it and ran outside.

      As I passed the Arena I heard voices inside. I hid behind a column and trued to see who it was.

      Justin sat down, his back turned towards me. He was talking to Silena, who was violently gesturing with her hands. I couldn't make out what they were saying and if I got any closer I'd be spotted. Besides, I didn't have much time before I left, so I dropped it. I kept running.

       The forges were located right by the river, a big wheel water-powering a lot of the machinery. I ran inside, starting to sweat a little.

     The forge was really big so I couldn't see if there were more campers anywhere.

     "Hey, Nyssa," I said, walking up to the girl with a dirty bandana on her head.

     "Hey, Water Works," she said. "What do you need?"

      I waved my notebook at her. "Beckendorf?"

     She smiled. "New armory already?"

     "Just a couple ideas."

     "He's over by The Blaze."

      "Thanks," I walked away, leaving her to keep pounding on the metal.

       There were a lot of fireplaces in the Forge for obvious reasons but the Hephaestus kids called the biggest one, The Blaze. I had spent some time down here, the Hephaestus cabin all knew me by now. Mechanics was always something that sparked my interest.

      Ever since I got to camp, I'd draw out ideas for weapons. It was always a pleasure for Cabin Nine to build them, they loved a new challenge. Beckendorf was my favorite person to go to for that, mostly because he never turned down one of my ideas.  

      "Beckendorf!" I yelled over all the noise.

      "Hey, Malloy," he said, taking his welding mask off and turning to me. "Watcha got for me today?"

      "Just something to keep you occupied while I'm gone."

      I handed him the notebook.  

      He took his gloves off, revealing his calloused hands. He flipped to the last pages, where he had last left off.

     "This is sick," he said. "You got a pencil?"

     I handed it to him and he drew notes and calculations on my drawings, studying it.

     "You think you can manage?" I asked.  

     "Is that a challenge?" He asked smiling.

     "Yeah, it is."

      He huffed. "This'll be ready before you before you even get back."

      "Perfect," I said.

      I turned around to get back to my cabin but Beckendorf stopped me. 

      "Good luck out there," he said. "Try not to get too badly maimed."

       I laughed. "No promises."

      He smiled but his eyes looked sad. "I'm serious. I don't know what your brother would do if you didn't come back."

      My smile slightly faded and his face looked like he was ready to get me in trouble.

      "He's not going is he?" Beckendorf asked.

      I shrugged.  

      He sighed. "Then be careful, both of you."

     I nodded and ran out of the Forges.