Retirement Does Not Suit Santa

We stopped in front of a Goodwill drop box, Percy giving us a wary look. He knew exactly what Zoë was planning.

      Grover and Thalia held on to my legs as I dumpster dived for some of the oldest clothes I could find that would fit Percy. They only dropped me like twice.

      In no time, we had dressed Percy in torn up flannel, huge jeans, and red sneakers. I plopped a floppy rainbow hat on his head. He gave me a look like he wanted to strangle me.

    "The hat is overkill," he complained.

      I tried really hard not to laugh at him. "I don't know what you mean, it ties the outfit all together."

     "Oh, yeah," Grover was trying just as hard to suppress his smile, "you look completely inconspicuous now."

     Zoë nodded. "A typical male vagrant."   

    "Thanks a lot," Percy grumbled. "Why am I doing this again?"

     "I told thee. To blend in."

     We walked around the docks for a while, following Zoë. Whatever it was she was looking for, she didn't let us in on it. Soon, she stopped walking and pointed to a group of homeless men huddled on the pier.

    "He will be down there somewhere," Zoë said. "He never travels very far from the water. He likes to sun himself during the day."

     "How do I know which one is him?" Percy asked.

     "Sneak up," she said. "Act homeless. You will know him. He will smell... different."

     "Great." Percy made a face. "And once I find him?"

     "Grab him," she instructed. "And hold on. He will try anything to get rid of thee. Whatever he does, do not let go. Force him to tell thee about the monster."

    "We've got your back," Thalia said. She picked some fuzzy clump off the back of Percy's shirt. "Eww. On second thought... I don't want your back.

     I poked at some old dried stains on his chest. "His front isn't any better."

     Grover gave him two thumbs up. "But we'll be rooting for you."

     Percy stomped away, muttering something about having super powerful friends to help.

      We watched Percy stumble through groups of men. Some of them gave him dirty looks but ignored him. Other yelled at him to beat it. Even the dude we had scared with the angels from Mars was there, trying to convince everyone else of what he had seen. No one was buying it.

      We sat down on the ground and waited for Percy to find Nereus.

      Zoë's face was troubled, she looked like she was trying to process the best way to get out of this without anymore deaths.

      "We'll find Artemis," I reassured her.

      She turned to look at me and gave me a sympathetic smile. "And thy friend, Annabeth."

       Zoë looked so tired, it reminded me of Chiron. They both had that same droop in their eyes, like they knew something bad was going to happen but didn't want to worry anyone. After everything we had been through, I now considered her my friend. I was worried for her. After this was all over, I was going to suggest a break for her.

      "Our offer still stands," she said. "You are a great leader, we could use that in the Hunt."

      I stared at her. "But you're their leader."