A Sacrificial Decision

Atlas smirked at the fact the whatever Zoë did, she couldn't change her bloodline. Zoë's grimaced contrasted him, yet there was still a slight resemblance in them.

    "Let Artemis go," Zoë demanded.

     Atlas paced dramatically to the auburn haired girl. "Perhaps you'd like to take the sky for her, then? Be my guest."

    Before Zoë had the chance to answer, Artemis said, "No! Do not offer, Zoë! I forbid you."

    Atlas beamed in victory know Zoë could not disobey a direct order from the goddess. He moved to touch her face but Artemis bit at his hand, trying to dismember his fingers.

    "Hoo-hoo," Atlas laughed. "You see, daughter? Lady Artemis likes her new job. I think I will have all the Olympians take turns carrying my burden, once Lord Kronos rules again, and this is the center of our palace. It will teach those weaklings some humility."

    Zoë's face was horribly grief stricken, knowing she had been outwitted.

   Thalia muttered something to Percy that I couldn't hear. My gaze shifted to Annabeth. I wanted to slash Luke in the face and untie her but I knew I couldn't. I avoided her eyes, knowing that if I didn't, I would immediately try to fight.

    "I don't understand," Percy said. "Why can't Artemis just let go of the sky?"

    Atlas found the whole situation amusing. He was the only one. "How little you understand, young one. This is the point where the sky and the earth first met, where Ouranos and Gaia first brought forth their mighty children, the Titans. The sky still yearns to embrace the earth. Someone must hold it at bay, or else it would crush down upon this place, instantly flattening the mountain and everything within a hundred leagues. Once you have taken the burden, there is no escape." Atlas smiled. "Unless someone else takes it from you."

    He approached us, studying us each individually. "So these are the best heroes of the age, eh? Not much of a challenge."

    "Fight us," I said. "And let's see."

     The titan looked me over with disgust.

    "Bastard child of the sea, have the gods taught you nothing? An immortal does not fight a mere mortal directly. It is beneath our dignity. I will have Luke crush you instead."

    "So you're another coward," Percy said.
He seemed to be more offended by Atlas' comment than I was. His eyes were filled with hatred, but he turned his attention to Thalia.

     "As for you, daughter of Zeus, it seems Luke was wrong about you."

     "I wasn't wrong," Luke's voice was shaky. I felt kind of sorry for him, remembering how he used to be before all this. I hated to admit it but a small part of me hoped he would change back. Join camp again. Then again, I wasn't really sure where my alliance lied. It was a battle with myself, one I couldn't win.

    "Thalia, you still can join us," Luke insisted. "Call the Ophiotaurus. It will come to you. Look!"

    He waved his hand, and next to us a pool of water appeared: a pond ringed in black marble, big enough for the Ophiotaurus. Percy stared at it attentively, until something jolted inside him. He suddenly found interest in his shoes.

    "Thalia, call the Ophiotaurus," Luke persisted. "And you will be more powerful than the gods."

    "Luke..." She seemed to have read my mind. "What happened to you?"

    "Don't you remember all those times we talked? All those times we cursed the gods? Our fathers have done nothing for us. They have no right to rule the world! You know what I mean, Cas!" He turned to me desperately. "When has your father ever done anything good for you. Everything that happened to you, it was all his fault, you know it! Tell her, Cassidy!"

     Percy looked at me with an anguished expression. "Cassie..."

     "He's right," I muttered, only loud enough for Thalia and Percy to hear.

     Thalia pushed me behind her. "Free Annabeth. Let her go."

    "If you join me," Luke promised, "it can be like old times. The three of us together. Fighting for a better world. Please, Thalia, if you don't agree..."

    His voice faltered. "It's my last chance. He will use the other way if you don't agree. Please."

     He sounded like he was in so much pain, I would've stepped towards him if it wasn't for Thalia holding me down and Percy blocking my path.

     "Do not, Thalia," Zoë warned. "We must fight them."

    Luke waved his hand again, and a fire appeared. A bronze brazier, just like the one at camp. A sacrificial flame.

    "Thalia," my voice cracked and I became aware of the tears forming in my eyes.

     She looked at me with such desperation and conflict, it physically hurt me. She was fighting as much as I was.

     "Thalia," Percy said, sternly. "No."

     The golden sarcophagus behind Luke glowed gradually. Around us, the mist swirled, showing images of a frightfully beautiful palace. The ruins we were in, in tact. A palace built of fear.

    "We will raise Mount Othrys right here," Luke pressed on. His voice was not the one I recognized. His face wasn't the same friendly one that had rescued me on the streets. "Once more, it will be stronger and greater than Olympus. Look, Thalia. We are not weak."

    He pointed toward the ocean to the army marching up from the Princess Andromeda. Dracaenae and Laestrygonians, monsters and half-bloods, hell hounds, harpies, and other things I couldn't even name. There were so many more than there was last summer, all ready to fight. We were horribly outnumbered. But then again, we were right next to the ocean, and close to the sky. Percy, Thalia, and I all had advantages

    "This is only a taste of what is to come," Luke said. "Soon we will be ready to storm Camp Half-Blood. And after that, Olympus itself. All we need is your help."

    I could feel Thalia's arm shaking, trying to decide where to aim her spear.

    I squeezed her arm until she turned to me. I looked her directly in her electric blue eyes. "He needs help."

     She nodded. She hefted her spear towards someone who was once our friend. "You aren't Luke. I don't know you anymore."

    "Yes, you do, Thalia," he pleaded. "Please. Don't make me... Don't make him destroy you."

      Time was slowly running out. I met each of my friends eyes, including Annabeth. Thalia had let go of me now, giving me full range to use my sword.

     Maybe going down fighting for your friends wasn't so bad.

    "Now," Percy said. Together, we charged.