Chapter 16: Working Alone

The very next morning Number Five woke up feeling an excruciating pain on his arm. The night before he didn't even take the time to inspect himself for any sort of wounds he was just too exhausted to deal with that.

The boy knew he had to leave soon and go back to Meritech to continue his plan on finding the owner of the eye. The man should eventually show up at any point before the apocalypse. He just hoped that he didn't take that long.

Five stood from his bed and headed to the bathroom to get a shower, that's when he noticed he had a wound near his shoulder. It looked as if a bullet had grazed upon his skin from the attack of the night before. To him, it was something extremely minor and he wasn't going to allow that to stop him.

Once he finished getting cleaned up he headed to his room to get dressed and in the process he also stitched up his wound. He knew that by doing this it would stop it from bleeding and help it scar faster. After he finished stitching himself up he grabbed a bandaid and placed it on top of his wound and finished getting dressed. Completely ready to head out.

The boy grabbed the duffle bag he had stolen from Gimbel's and picked it, knowing Delores was still inside. He headed up to his window and opened it as he climbed outside through the fire escape stairs. He really wasn't feeling using the regular exit. Mostly because he was trying to avoid Cassie.

"Damn it, where's Dad's stuff?" Klaus yelled as he dug through the trash. "Shut up! I'm trying to find whatever priceless crap was in that priceless box so that Pogo will get off my ass!" He talked by himself. At least that's what Five assumed.

"I'd ask what you're up to, Klaus, but then it occurred to me... I don't care." Five said as climbed down the ladder.

"Hey!" Klaus said as he noticed Five what he was up to. "You know there are easier ways out of the house, buddy?" Klaus pointed out to his sibling.

"This one involved the least amount of talking." Five said as he jumped down reaching the bottom. "Or so I thought." The boy said as he walked pass Klaus.

"Hey, hey, and Cassie?" Klaus asked as he held his flask out catching Five completely off guard.

"What?" The boy asked turning to look at Klaus as he raised an eyebrow.

"You already heard me. Where is Cassie? You too have been together since you arrived. Why she isn't here?" Klaus asked as he looked at Five curiously.

"She must be somewhere inside the academy. Honestly, I don't know nor do I care. She was delaying me." Five said defensively to Klaus not wanting to have this conversation.

"Oh, really? Seems to me like you do care. There is something about the way you look at her. You have feelings for her don't you?" Klaus said letting out a small laugh.

"What? Of course not, you idiot." Five defended himself from Klaus' standpoint. "Since we got back she is not tied to me anymore. She is free to do whatever she wants. I have more important things to do anyway" The boy said.

"Well, if what you say is true then I'll help her find a boyfriend! I'm sure she will enjoy that. Playing cupid is so much fun." Klaus said looking at Five as he took a sip of his flask.

"There are way more important things to worry about other than finding love." Five gritted through his teeth getting irritated by Klaus' comment.

"I see. You are jealous." Klaus teased him as he saw Five rolled his eyes at him as he began to walk away.

"I am not!" Five protested trying to get away from his delusional brother.

"Wait! You need any more company today? I could, uh... clear my schedule." Klaus said looking at Five.