Chapter 36: Margaritas

As soon as Five noticed Cassie looked back at him he instantly looked away not knowing how to approach her. The boy knew that Klaus was somewhat right about the things he said and maybe things wouldn't be as awkward if Cassie didn't get to hear the whole conversation he just had with his brother.

Five was starting to realize that after all these years the only reason he kept pushing Cassie away was because of the apocalypse. The boy had made a promise 45 years ago and it was that he would get himself and Cassie back to their original timeline and stop the end of the world. Which was much easier said than done.

The truth was that the boy feared failure. In fact, what got him into this mess was exactly that. After his father refused to allow him to time travel he wanted to prove to him that he was capable of doing it, so he did. The only issue with this was that he was never able to get back using his own powers so at the end of the day he truly had failed.

It was never the boy's intention to drag Cassie along while he attempted his newfound powers, it all happened by accident. As children Five and Cassie didn't get along that well so if he was given the choice to bring her along at the time he most likely wouldn't have done it. Especially if he knew the two would get stuck together for 45 years.

All those years together the two had learned to tolerate one another. They would argue every now and then but deep inside knew that since they were in it together arguing wouldn't help their situation it would just make it worse.

The more they spent time together in the apocalypse the more the two got to know each other. Which was something Five had never given her the chance to do while they lived together at the academy.

When they were 16 Five realized that he was starting to develop feelings towards Cassie and this really frustrated him to no end, because he thought the girl would never feel the same towards him. At the time he was convinced she was in love with Ben who she always remembered very fondly every time she found a new book to distract herself with. Because of this, the boy made sure to hide his feelings very well.

This only lasted a year until Cassie found Vanya's book and discovered what had happened to Ben and how he had died on a mission. That day Cassie told Five she wasn't in love with Ben and that out of everyone in the academy she thought of him as her real brother because of the bond they had. This resulted in Five impulsively kissing the girl and then regretting it seconds later after he realized how awkward things would be between them if he allowed his feelings to get in the way.

Five was very good at concealing his feelings towards Cassie. All he did was put up a strong front and focus on surviving. But all of this went to shit when they took the day off at the lake.

After Cassie made the first move and kissed Five something took over him that day which made him not able to hide how he really felt towards her. His intentions that day were never to take her to bed with him but one thing lead to another and it somehow happened.

That day Five realized that Cassie felt the same towards him but instead of feeling happy about it this made him upset. He thought that given any other circumstances she probably wouldn't feel that way about him and he felt guilty for taking advantage of that and sleeping with her. Because of this Five acted as if nothing ever happened between them the next day.

After that Five completely buried his feelings towards Cassie. He promised himself that he would not allow anything similar to happen ever again and he kept that promise until recently at the Commission when he kissed her again after many years. This whole time he thought he doing what was best for him and Cassie but only recently realized how his actions did more harm than good.