Chapter 22: Hangover

The very next morning Cassie woke up with the biggest headache of her life. She looked around completely disconcerted not being able to recognize where she was in and how she got there. The girl started to panic, but that didn't last that long. She took in her surroundings once more and felt someone move next to her and to her surprise, it was a very asleep Number Five.

She took a deep breath feeling a sense of relief as she realized she wasn't alone inside this very unfamiliar place. For a second she had thought she was  abducted or something similar by the two people who were after her and Five. But having Five next to her made her feel safe.

Cassie sat on the bed as she tried to recollect everything she could remember from the day before but unfortunately, she couldn't remember much. The last thing she remembered was how she and Five headed to the library to work on some sort of probability map to figure out who caused the apocalypse. No matter how much effort she put into remembering the events of the prior day, her pounding brain inside her skull was not allowing her.

Suddenly the boy next to her began to move around which meant he was starting to wake up. Cassie turned to look at him as he opened his eyes and examined the room he had woken up in. He was also as confused as how she was when she first woke up, but the first thing that came out of the boy's mouth was a groan as he held his head with both hands. He was also having a huge headache from the day before.

"Good morning to you, too," Cassie said as she looked away from Five. She knew that Five really wasn't a morning person, and considering that he was having a headache as well made him more intolerable.

"Where are we?" Five said as he tried to sit down on the bed completely ignoring what Cassie had said.

"I don't know. My head is pounding and I can't remember past yesterday's afternoon." Cassie said as she rubbed her temple trying to ease up the pain inside her head.

"That's because you got drunk. We both did." Five explained. He knew how it felt to be hungover, after all, it wouldn't be his first time. The only difference was that he didn't have the same resistance he had with his adult body.

The girl wasn't very fond of drinking, in fact, she had never been extremely drunk to the point of passing out. So having such a bad hungover was a foreign concept to her. She remembered she had drunk some alcohol the day before, but she had no memories of how much she consumed. She knew the effects were going to be bad, but she never expected it to be these extreme. But at the end of the day, it made sense especially since her body was processing the alcohol as the body of a 13-year-old. Now she understood exactly why alcohol wasn't for children.

"What's the last thing you remember?" Cassie asked Five genuinely curious about what happened while she was completely out of it. She was hoping he would remember at least more than she did.

"I remember going to the library with you. We were trying to formulate a probability map, and managed.to get some work done. But after that, I can't remember anything else." Five said honestly as he also was having a hard time remembering more things.

"I don't remember anything that happened at the library. I remember why we went there though." Cassie said truthfully and shrugged.

"I also remembered that group of teenagers trying to harass you." The boy said remembering another thing. "Those little pieces of shit." He muttered to himself. His blood beginning to boil as he remembered what had happened.

"What teenagers?" Cassie said getting more confused.

"It's really nothing, you don't need to worry about that." Five said as he got up and examined the place.

Suddenly he saw some cross stitch art on the wall that had Diego's name in it and the same mask they all used to wear on missions as kids. "I think I know where we a—" He began to say but got interrupted by someone walking inside the room.