INT. GRYFFINDOR COMMON ROOM - AFTERNOON

The room is dimly lit, and there is snow falling outside. REMUS sits on the couch in front of the lit fireplace, reading an old and tattered copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard. LILY sits next to him, her head on his shoulder, writing on parchment with a quill. All that's written on it is 'Dear Mother, Father, and Petunia.'

LILY
(sighing, and putting down the parchment)
My god, that dance is coming up.

REMUS
(not looking up from his book)
Don't remind me.

LILY
Oh, James is going to be practically harassing me all week to go with him.

REMUS
Isn't that lovely.

LILY
Who are you planning on going with?

REMUS
No one really, just either you or the boys, as friends.

LILY
(smirking)
Have you talked about it with Sirius yet?

REMUS
No, I'd never.

There's a quiet sound of muffled footsteps from outside the Gryffindor towers.

LILY
I'm sure Sirius would go with you as friends.

REMUS
Wouldn't that be wonderful? Going to a dance with the person you fancy as friends, exactly what I want!

LILY
It's better than nothing...

REMUS
Sure. I'd rather go with James as my boyfriend than with Sirius as friends.

The sound of footsteps grows louder, before coming to an abrupt stop. Lily and Remus both look towards the portrait hole. There's a quiet 'Quid Agis', and the portrait opens. Students start walking through, in sweaters and winter clothing, carrying trunks.

LILY
(looking back towards Remus)
Well, speak of the devil.

JAMES and PETER walk in together, looking worried. James wears a Gryffindor sweater and winter boots. Peter wears a winter jacket and his sneakers. They talk to each other as they drag their trunks in.

JAMES
Moony!

James and Peter drop their trunks and jump to sit on either side of Remus. Lily quickly moves to make space.

JAMES (CONT'D)
(turning to look towards Lily)
Hey Evans, you miss me? If you did, I'm sure you'd love to see more of me at that dance.

LILY
No, Potter.

JAMES
(winking)
You sure?

LILY
Positive.

James looks sad. Lily goes back to writing her letter.

REMUS
Where's Sirius?

PETER
We don't know.

JAMES
We didn't see him at the platform or on the train.

PETER
I think he even missed the trolley witch!

REMUS
(starting to get nervous)
Well, do you even know if he's back at school?

James and Peter shrug.