Chapter 10: The Flat Trans

Janson sits back down, picking up his book and once again pretending you and your friends don't exist. You glance awkwardly around the room as you wonder if any of the boys realize you're the one who is here by accident. You catch Newt's gaze from across the room, where he stands staring blankly at you. Slowly you make your way across the room to him.

"Newt, are you ok?" You ask, shifting your weight between your feet.

He looks at you with sad eyes, "I always had a feeling that we weren't free... but now that it has been confirmed..." He doesn't need to finish his sentence, you know what he means.

To be teased with freedom just to have it ripped away is cruel beyond anything else. Who's to say after this trial you'll be free? Who's to say you'll ever be free?

Just as you open your mouth to say something, Minho joins you and Newt with a haughty sigh.

"Well, it's obvious that Y/n is the one put here by mistake." Minho states thoughtfully. "But why would Janson bring that up now? What's the point?"

You shift uncomfortable on your toes as embarrassment fills your cheeks with heat. Newt looks up at you with wide eyes, as if somehow surprised by this information.

"What, you didn't know?" You ask trying to force down a crack in your voice.

Newt shakes his head bewildered, "No... I... I mean how did you know?"

"It's kind of obvious," You state, now failing to hide the trembling in your voice. "If you compare our story with Aris's, I'm the only piece that doesn't fit. I also didn't get a tattoo with any sort of title. I was never supposed to be here in the first place." You admit solemnly.

To your surprise, Newt gently places his palms on your cheeks, forcing you to look him in the eye. He gives you a half smile and a look of admiration.

"Even if it wasn't Wicked's intention for you to be with us, you are now and I see a purpose in that. If it wasn't for you we may not have made it this far, I may not even be alive. Remember, it was you who saved me after the... incident... in the Maze. I'm glad you were put in this on accident, because if it wasn't for that I would've never met you and I'm grateful for that."

Minho clears his throat, looking around the room dramatically. Red faced, Newt quickly puts his hands by his side.

"Well what do we do know?" Minho asks awkwardly.

Suddenly Thomas is by your side, "I guess we have to do what Janson said. We're gonna have to go into the Scorch."

"I agree," You add, "It doesn't seems like we have much of a choice."

The rest of the night is spent packing up supplies using bedsheets as sacks. You use the plastic wrappers of some of the foods as make-shift water bottles.

Once all the food is packed up, you and the others fall into a restless sleep as you anticipate the trial yet to come.

  You wake up the next morning and Janson is gone. Like he said the day before, on the back wall now stands a door... of sorts. It's more like a silvery waterfall of a gateway. You now have five minutes to leave, or you'll be stuck here forever.

"Well... What are we waiting for?" Minho asks, staring in awe at the 'door'.

"Nothing I guess," Newt says, doing the same, "You're the leader aren't you? Says it right there on your neck, you should probably go first."

Minho breaks his gaze from the door to glare at Newt.

"Guys, we're running out of time, let's go." You say, taking a step toward the shimmering door. The rest of the boys fall in line behind you, silently watching in fear as you size up the exit.

Your whole body begins to tremble as you take the first shaky step. Your heart shivers inside you chest as your foot passes through the barrier. Suddenly it's like you're being sucked into a freezing void of darkness by some un-seen magnet. A powerful force drags you inward as if pulling you by your belly-button. The next thing you know you're standing in complete darkness. Musty air fills your lungs as your breaths become quick and ragged as fear starts to take over. You can't see or hear anything. You spin around in circles in the hopes of finding the shining door. Nothing.

Out of nowhere someone collides with you from behind. You yelp as you crash to the ground, the weight of whoever's behind you falling on top of you.

"Agh! Y/n, is that you!?" You hear Minho shout.

Pushing Minho off of you, "Yeah." You say with a grunt.

Struggling to rise to your feet, you stretch your arms out in front of you searching for anything to give you some sort of clue as to where you are. If you're lucky, you'll find a light switch. Suddenly your hands meet a wall. Reaching out to both sides you find that you're in a hallway, only as wide as your wingspan.

Over the next two minutes the rest of the boys enter the hallway, the last being Thomas who of course had to run into Winston in the back, knocking you and the rest of the boys over like dominoes.

"Thomas!" Several people exclaim.

Once everyone is up on their feet, you ask everyone to sound off, making sure everyone made it through alright.

"What now?" You hear Newt ask once everyone was confirmed present.

"I guess we walk forward." Minho says.

"That's as good a plan as any." You hear Thomas remark from the back.

You shrug. They're right, there's not really anything else you can do. Being in the front of the line, you take the first step into the void, listening as the footsteps of the boys follow behind you.

A/n: Hey guys! Sorry it's been so long! I really needed a break! But I'm back now and better than ever! I just wanted to say I really appreciate all of your comments and I can't wait to start writing and posting again!!

Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. 

Proverbs 12:25