"Huh?" Slone glanced over at him. "Oh. Well, we weren't really together all that much. He was busy..."

"Doing training?"

Slone nodded. "He had all kinds of things he had to do an' learn 'cause of being the heir, and I've been going wandering off on my own since I was a tiny thing. But we always got on real good. Sometimes we'd just go exploring together for days at a time."

"Sounds nice."

"Yeah. Yeah, it was. And remember when I told you about the thing with the wyvern?" He pulled the blanket down to show Danya the scar on his shoulder. "How I got this?"

"Yes, I remember."

"Well, that happened when I was out exploring with Yore. He was the only one around and he heard me yelp and he came running." Slone ran his fingers over the scar. "He was only 'bout sixteen at the time. Never woulda bet on him against a full grown wyvern. Hell, I wouldn't bet on myself against one now. I thought we were both dead when he ran into that cave, but he grabbed that fucker by the throat and tore into it and he saved my life."

"Wow."

"Yeah, and ain't nobody but me saw that, Danya. Ain't nobody else see him take on that impossible fight and win, so how would they know what can and can't kill him? Fucking nothing can, far as I'm concerned. Heck, I started to have doubts when he was missing for months, but I was wrong about that. I ain't gonna doubt him again."

"I believe you," Danya said. "And... if he's not going to die, maybe I can help him. I have some very minor healing abilities. Nothing that would make any difference to whether or not he died, but I might be able to minimise long term damage. Though, only if it's external."

Slone gave him a grateful smile. "Reckon you could do anything for his eyes or his hearing? I don't think he'll die, but if you can make it so he won't be blind and deaf after he heals it'll make a hell of a difference to his life."

"You know, I have no idea. Let's go and find out."

In just the short time they'd been outside, Yore's skin had bloomed into an even more alarming pinky purple hue. Every inch of him was a raw, tender bruise.

Danya sat down on the edge of the bed and placed a hand over one of Yore's eyes.

"What's he doing?" Duffy asked.

"Danya has a bit of skill with healing," Slone explained.

"He can save him?"

"No," Danya interjected. "I can't feel deep enough to do anything at all for his internal organs, which I imagine are the real concern, but... maybe his vision."

Duffy sighed. "Well, it can't do any harm. He might wake up at some point, and if he does I'm sure he'll be grateful for the opportunity to see his family again."

"Mm."

The damage permeating every inch of Yore's skin was overwhelming. Danya could feel the tears in the delicate structures of Yore's eyes, but it was hard to focus on them with so much other damage pulling at his mind. So he decided not to bother. He simply pushed energy into healing whatever part of Yore's flesh that lay under his fingers he happened to lock onto. Eventually that would include the important parts.

Before he could really get into things, though, Ansel returned with dry clothes for them. Danya changed, then roused Lynna and helped her with hers. They must have been children's clothes, judging from the fact that they fit at all. The adult werewolves were much bigger than them.

Danya returned to his healing task, and spent a moment trying to figure out which eye he'd been working out. Depressingly, there was no noticeable difference in the damage to them to judge by. Though, he had only been working for around ten minutes before he was interrupted. This wasn't something he could expect to have fast results.