Chapter Fifteen

Morning came quicker than ever and we had moved to an orchard, putting distance between us and the wolves. The rest of the night had me playing fetch girl to collect the ingredients needed in order for Dahlia to bond with Nik. Dahlia did not want to leave Hope, not until she was fully bonded with her. Which would not come until she was bonded with Nik first. And while I was busy playing maid, Nik and Caroline had spent the rest of it arguing until they reached a very unstable agreement.

In Dahlia's eyes, all they cared about was doing what was best for Hope, but really they were arguing about Nik. Nik choosing to bond with her and furthermore what else was going to happen that she didn't know about.

Because even though Caroline didn't know the full details of the plan she knew Nik and she knew enough to know we had something else planned. Something she would argue against and try to stop. Unfortunately, she couldn't weasel it out of Nik due to Dahlia's presence. But she knew.

Which led us to now. Her on the ground, Nik's head on her lap as she cried, having screamed in horror when he daggered himself. Therefore daggering Dahlia as well due to their link. Leaving me with a whimpering and fussy Hope and a confused Freya who was standing by herself after calling Rebekah. Just watching us, trying to figure out what was happening.

Shushing Hope, swaying back and forth in order to sooth her I kneeled down beside Caroline. "Care," I ran a hand through her hair, "I promise everything is going to be okay." She sniffed, both of us ignoring Elijah and Jameson's sudden appearance. "Everything is going to plan, you'll have Nik back before you know it." Sniffing again, her blue-green eyes met mine, and she nodded. Leaning down, she placed a soft kiss on his head, running her fingers through his curled hair before letting me pull her to her feet.

Facing my siblings, it was easy to see Jameson's relief in being awake and knowing I had not actually joined her and even easier to see Elijah's anger and hate. "How is she?" He managed to ask but didn't move to check himself unlike Jameson who rubbed Hope's back while pulling Caroline in for a hug.

"What do you care?" I sneered causing him to glare at me. "None of this would have happened if Nik hadn't been daggered. If you had let me tell you my theory about the ingredients..."

"Are you suggesting that everything that has happened is my fault?" He glared stepping forward.

"I'm not suggesting it, I'm saying it." I retorted.

"Enough." Caroline snapped. "Nik is daggered, again." She shot Elijah and Freya a look. "But this time he is the only thing between Dahlia and Hope." She glared, striding up towards them. "Nik and even Ever have done things you hate but remember this, you," she jabbed a finger into Elijah's chest. "You helped the wolves steal my daughter, you helped them kidnap her and if it wasn't for Ever, I would never have seen her again."

"She's got a point." James sighed moving next to Care and Elijah. "Right now, whatever happened, whatever differences we have, we have to put it in a box and seal it shut because we don't have a lot of time. Nik and more importantly Hope needs us to work together." He looked back and forth between Elijah and I, raising an eyebrow.

"For Nik and Hope." I agreed which Care repeated.

"So, how were our ingredients incorrect?" Freya inquired.

"According to Niklaus, after he infiltrated Dahlia's mind it was clear you were not the witch she loved most." Elijah answered as I passed Hope to Caroline, watching her rub her eyes and rest her head on Care's shoulder. "That honour belongs to our beloved mother."

Freya sighed in frustration grasping how difficult this was going to be. "So we need Esther's blood? Well, that's impossible. I killed her."

"One incarnation." Elijah corrected.