Chapter Ten

Leaving Caroline after Trinity, Ava and Annalise assured me that they would protect her and Hope, I began the search for Nik all around the French Quarter becoming more and more annoyed each time I came across my other siblings instead and they immediately went to join Caroline.

"Seriously!" I shouted upon finding him and Elijah just standing together in a random street seemingly going at it once again. It had not escaped my notice that Elijah was asserting himself in Hope's life more than he should, wanting to make the decisions that were solely Nik and Caroline's. "We have Dahlia in town and instead of Nik answering his phone, searching for threats he's arguing with you." I continued glaring directly at Elijah seeing him as Nik's sole distraction. He went to say something but I pointed a finger at him and I felt the ground slightly shake in my anger. "Not one word. And if I find out this is about Freya I will not be held responsible for my actions."

"Enough said." Nik spat, anger spilling out of him. "This ends here brother. I will protect my daughter and you have a choice to make. Freya or me."

He went to turn away but I grabbed his arm using my strength to pull him back. Until Dahlia was dealt with many of my runes would be activated. "Nik." I said sternly not caring that Elijah was glaring at us both. "Dahlia was at St James." Nik froze and Elijah's glare disappeared. "Caroline and Hope are fine. I was there when it happened but a few of the wolves are dead and Care wants you there."

Leaving as quickly as we could, using our inhuman speed as soon as we out of sight, it didn't take us long to get there. Care instantly relaxing as soon as she spotted Nik, throwing herself at him, his own arms wrapping around her and Hope who was clutched in her arms. I doubted she had let her go in the time that I was gone.

"I tried to call you but..."

"Disrupting a cell is something us witches can easily do." I finished leaning back on the bar, watching the wolves out of the corner of my eyes. At least the one I didn't trust. The other suspiciously nowhere in sight.

Nik released his family but his eyes ran over them, worry for them hidden but easily seen and felt by me. Anger on the other hand could be seen easily. And I was willing to bet it was all for Dahlia. "That's it. You're coming back to the compound."

"Nik..." I sighed...

"No way!" Hayley snarled.

"It would be even less safe." Octavia interrupted shaking her head. "She sent Josephine there just this morning. Henrik and Monique are there right now getting ready to bury her."

"We'd be sitting ducks like we are here, especially when the spell breaks." Hayley spat stomping forward. "We need to leave."

"I did the spell, believe me, it's not going anywhere." How dare she...

"Jackson is out getting supplies and then us wolves can take Hope and head to the Bayou."

"Over my dead body!" My Kitsune transformation began to come through.

"You come anywhere near my daughter and I swear..." Caroline's threat was cut off by Nik.

"Your opinion means nothing and I would never let my daughter anywhere near your swamp." Nik raged.

"She's..."

"You even finish that and I swear in the name of my family that I will tear you to pieces." James sneered jumping down from the bar and placing himself between the wolf and my niece.

"That's enough!"

"Screw you Elijah. I'm with James." Before anyone could blink I had the wolf up against the wall by her throat, squeezing. "You have been a problem since even before I had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting you. I said I would be the one to kill you and now. I'm going to keep that promise."