Chapter Nine

"Oh, my kind of breakfast." James spoke as we walked into the dining room with Henrik. He immediately went to the drinks. "Mimosa's." He lifted his glass to Nik, Elijah and Bekah. "Wonderful idea."

"And pastries." I added putting several on a plate before taking the drink James offered me. "Your idea, Nik?" I asked checking as Henrik dug in. He smiled and pointed at us as if we had just proved a point he was making to the others. "Right," I swallowed a bite and raised my glass. "To the death of Mikael. The biggest pain in the ass, rubbish Viking and all around annoying idiot." I paused looking at the others. "Anything to add?" No one said anything but I was getting a dirty look from Bekah and one of annoyance from Elijah. Nik was smiling though.

"Well done, Nik." Henrik congratulated him, raising his glass before downing it. James did the same.

"Oh, come on you two, don't ruin the good mood. You hated him as well." I finished my drink. "You should be happy that he is gone but I'm guessing another sister is holding that happiness back. Well guess what? If Freya wants to be part of this family she'll get over it. I'm certainly not going to stop celebrating. The man killed me several times over the years in many different ways."

Elijah sighed. "Sister. Killing him has alienated Freya and she is needed to take down Dahlia."

"Elijah's right." Rebekah agreed sipping her own drink. "Freya loved Mikael." She shook her head at Nik. "You've ruined everything." She accused.

Nik and I rolled our eyes, him leaning back in his chair. "Pity. Whatever shall I do."

"Whatever you please, apparently." Elijah told him aggravated.

Nik slammed his hand down on the table and leaned towards him. "Do not mistake my high spirits for lack of clarity. I know full well the threat we face." I began to hear footsteps and straightened up off the wall I had taken to leaning against bored with Elijah and Bekah's attitude. "And I intend to deal with it. Personally."

"Someone's here." I said interrupting Elijah and Nik. Everyone got up and we rushed to the courtyard unnerved at the moment with having someone uninvited in our home. When we entered, we saw Josephine LaRue. Each of us utterly confused by her presence.

"Forgive me for calling so early, Elijah, but I've come baring a message from your Aunt Dahlia." We all glanced at each other at her words. "She is owed a debt and she means to be paid."

"She can go to hell." Henrik growled moving closer to Josephine, eyes bright gold. "When did you speak with her Grandmother?" I stilled. I had forgotten Henrik was a LaRue in this life. Henrik had told me his Grandmother had raised him, his parents dying early on. He was incredibly protective over her. "Better yet," He moved closer sniffing, "what the hell are you doing in my Grandmother's body?" His growls got louder, James and Elijah pulling him back at his words.

"Is it?" Josephine, now know to be Dahlia smiled. "I had no idea, young Henrik." He growled straining against the hold on him. "But what a happy coincidence." She looked at Nik who moved forward. "I seek to fulfil a bargain. A bargain that, consequently resulted in your very existence. You should be thanking me. If you want someone to blame, blame the one who traded the child away a thousand years ago."

"Don't worry," she looked at James, "there's enough hate and blame for everyone to go around."

Nik glared at her. "You dare enter my home."

She just sighed as if she was bored of talking to us. "I only came for what is mine." Henrik growled loudly, the sound echoing throughout and I followed his eyes to her neck. Blood was appearing from her choker. "The time has come to add the child's power to my own. Though I do not detect her here. I see you have used a spell to cloak her," she turned to me, "your doing, Evermore, I am sure." She shook her head. "No matter, such spells will yield." More blood was coming out and my brothers were struggling to hold Henrik back. "Say your farewells. You have till nightfall tomorrow and the child is mine. Be a dear and inform the mother."