41 • Euphoric Haze

Start from the beginning

"Ugh yeah, my stomach's growling." She sat up, scrunching her nose, "Where's that bag of fruit that Mumma packed?"

Shaking my head, I rummaged through her luggage and took out the fruit bag and grabbed a banana before tossing it to her.

"I'm really looking forward to going to the beach you know," Roshni said, jumping off the bed and opening the windows, letting in the salty oven breeze wash into the room, "Also there's a bonfire tonight! Oh my God, I've always wanted to do this!"

"I thought you were feeling sick." I raised my brow questioningly.

"I was," she shrugged and took a bite from her apple before running to her bags and pulling out a couple of sundresses and her swimsuit, "I'm perfectly fine now. Let's go get some vitamin sea!"

"Yes!" I shrieked, the excitement inside me surfacing again, "Let me just splatter some sunscreen on my arms and legs before we go."

We got changed in a blur, chattering away incessantly as we applied sunscreen and put some extra in a bag to take with us. When we finally stepped out of our room, Roshni had on a short orange kaftan like sundress over her swimsuit and I wore a cropped top and blue denim high waist shorts.

"Should we wait for the others?" Roshni paused, glancing at their closed doors in the corridor.

"No!" I frowned, "God knows how much time they'll take. Besides, I really want to take a swim before everyone comes to the beach."

Dropping the key card at the reception, we made our way to white sandy beach through the back door of the resort, the cool shade from the mighty palms and coconuts shielding us from the wrath of the burning sun.

"Race you to the water!" Roshni called out suddenly and began running, "Loser buys food for both!"

"Hey, we're not kids anymore!" I shouted, but kicked off my slippers and dropped the bag in hand onto a beach chair hastily and began running after her nevertheless.

The sand was burning hot under my feet, and it was much harder to run than I expected but I caught up with her as she reached the edge of the lazy waves hitting the shore.

"You..." I panted, doubling over, "Bozo!"

Roshni laughed, unfazed, and skipped into the water until it skirted her stomach and the waves leapt just over her head. I watched for a few moments as she jumped with each wave, trying to keep her head above water.

"Look who's already here!" Neel called out from the back entrance of the resort as he, Lara and Vinay entered the beach.

I waved at them, squinting my eyes to see. The two boys were shirtless, obviously not letting go of a chance to flaunt their abs and Lara was wearing her new swimsuit with a white sarong on top.

Dropping their stuff on the beach chair I'd kept my bag on, they jogged towards us. Vinay's skin glittered in the sunlight, reflecting off all the sharp angles and planes of his toned torso making him look almost u real. I let out a dreamy sigh, but I think it had more to do with the heat level than his external beauty.

Before Vinay could enter the water, I splashed with a large shower of saltiness. Satisfied that I'd done a good job, I started running away from him.

"You did not just do that Akira!" he shouted, "Wait until I get hold of you!"

Giggling, I fastened my pace but somehow Vinay caught up with me easily. Grasping my shoulders he pushed me into the water and held me under for a couple of seconds.

"Argh!" I spluttered, when he let go of me.

I proceeded to have a fake coughing fit and I sniffled.

"Fuck!" Vinay panicked, "Akira are you all right?"