32 • Crossfire Of Emotion

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

"Actually, I've been thinking," Vinay said hesitantly, "I think I'm going to go and visit my father. I'll drop you home before I go."

My edge mouth involuntarily perked up into a bright smile.

"Oh my God! I'm so glad." I flung my arms around his neck ecstatically.

"Hmm..." he murmured.

"Just promise me one thing." I said, drawing back, "Whatever happens, you will not take love for granted."

Vinay paused for a moment before nodding solemnly, "I promise."

●○●

"Gosh, it's chilly!" I shivered, pulling the hoodie that Vinay had lent to me impossibly closer to my body, "I'm pretty sure the weather forecast said warm, humid weather with overcast skies."

Vinay's chest rumbled as he accelerated, "Or your blood vessels take time to dilate because of your general unfitness. Look at me, not a single goosebump."

"Shut up!" I whined, lightly slapping his back, "I'd have a comeback for that but I'm conserving energy to beat the damn cold."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night." He shrugged, still laughing.

It was almost quarter to ten and we'd been lucky to miss the nightly influx of traffic by an inch when we entered the main city. Vinay took a left onto the buzzing Vittal Mallya Road.

"Wait!" I yelled suddenly, "Isn't that the hospital where your father's admitted?"

"Yes." He nodded, slowing down the motorcycle, "I'll drop you home and come back."

"No, just park your bike here and go in now," I stated, "It's better than making two trips. I'll wait for you outside."

"Are you sure?" Vinay asked hesitantly.

"I don't mind waiting, but if you don't want me to stay just say it." I replied, looking at my fingers in embarrassment. What was I thinking? His family is going to be there.

"No...no, that's not what I meant," he let out a sigh of relief, "I would really appreciate if you stayed. I didn't ask you to because I didn't want to be needy and overbearing."

I bit back a smile. Vinay could be so adorable at times and the fact that he was oblivious to it, made it all the more sweeter.

As he brought the motorcycle to a halt in the considerably filled up parking lot of the hospital, I bent back and pulled the hoodie I was wearing over my head and stuffed it into the backpack slung on the side of the bike.

I'm pretty sure his mother would not appreciate a random girl walking into her life wearing her beloved son's clothes when her husband was in an adjacent room pumping the blood in and out of his body with assisted dialysis. And however cold it was, I definitely did not want to start off on the wrong foot with his family.