00 • The Beginning

"Death is as sure for that which is born,
as birth is for that which is for the dead.
Therefore grieve not for what is inevitable."

~Bhagvad Gita

•°•°•°•

A cuckoo gleefully sang on the branch of the neem tree outside the kitchen window, as the warm, dusty winds of the Indian summer blew lazily.

"Come on Ma! Don't cry now," I whispered softly, wrapping my arms tightly around my mother's shoulders, "You're just going to different city, not a different country."

Her petite figure fit snugly in my embrace and I memorized the warm, fuzzy feeling inside my chest. I remember hugging her before heading out to school and now college for as long as I remember and the momentary cocooned safety was something I would undoubtedly miss.

"I know that Akira. I'm just overwhelmed that's all. My baby's all grown and going to stay alone. I honestly cannot believe it." She replied, dabbing her glistening eyes as she steps out my hold.

"Ma! Not this again. I'm nineteen. I can drive and cook for myself, I even have an internship. I'm sure I'll be perfectly fine." I reasoned, placing my hand on her shoulder in reassurance.

"Yes, I have absolutely no doubt about that." She smiles proudly, "It's just that I always wanted to keep you safe under my wing for as long as possible. I sound selfish, I know, but a mother can only hope."

I let out a small sigh.

"No you're not selfish, you're the most wonderful mother in the whole wide world." I grinned, buttering my sweet, little mother, "Now let your little girl go, and you don't forget to enjoy your new life in Delhi."

"Akira dear? Is this your subtle way of trying to get me off your back, now?" she chided, her voice laced with amusement.

I smiled cheekily at her as she raised an eyebrow at me questioningly.
"Well, I'll let my little birdie fly away on one condition." She said.

I gently prodded her on, "And that is?"

"You shall call me every single day and tell me about how your day was," my mother pouted, placing her hands on her hips, "I want to relive my college days through you, of course."

"Sure Ma," I said, rolling my eyes at how dramatic she was being, "Anything else? Because I'm sure Daddy's having an impatient fit waiting for me in the car."

"No just that. And don't forget to call me after you're done unpacking." She said, as she ushered me out of the living room towards the front door. "Bye Akira. Take care."

"I will, Ma. I love you." I said, before I opened the door.

All my stuff was already in the car, and I could see my father kvetching,  tapping away at the steering wheel annoyedly as he waited for me to bid farewell to my mother.

"Don't forget to do your laundry on time," my mother shouted from the threshold of our house, "And don't you dare skip meals saying that mess food is tasteless. Do you hear me Akira?"

I shook my head, laughing as I got into the car and waved at her zealously.

"Are you two done now, or do you want me to wait for another couple of centuries?" my father mumbled irritably, leaning forward to adjust the rearview mirror.

"Yes, let's go." I said quickly, not wanting to annoy him any further.

Daddy turned the key into ignition and pulled the six year old car out of our small driveway and onto the main road.

My father, despite his rigid exterior, was a real softie at heart. He was obviously far more practical and realistic than his wife, that was certain, because he never seemed to get the point of my mother's need for long, melodramatic goodbyes.

'The world is a small place', he said time and again, 'one tap on your phone and you can connect with any person out there.'

So moving a couple of cities away from me was hardly a major cause of worry for him.

If anything, I felt like he trusted me too much. So much so, that I was afraid that some day I'd let him down and I never wanted to live to see that day.

We drove in silence for most part of the ride, leaving me to ponder and lose myself in my labyrinth of thoughts.

Mummy and Daddy were actually moving to Delhi. This was all real. I was actually going to be alone here in Bangalore.

I sucked my lips into my mouth, beginning to feel a little antsy about the entire situation.

For the first time since my parents had broken the news to me about my father's promotion and transfer, I let my mind wrap around this fact that I'd been taking for granted until now.

I inhaled slowly as I let the feeling sink. Although nothing about living in Bangalore seemed even remotely foreign to me, somewhere in the corner of my mind I felt like things were rapidly going to change. Naturally I was slightly wary of it, but the promise of a new beginning made me look forward to it anyway.

I was going to start my second semester of college, so there was nothing new there. I'd have my old friends to lean on. And it'd probably just be a matter of days before the assignments an extra curriculars and not to forget, the internship caught up with me and I'd be in my little bubble again.

I smiled to myself covertly and watched my father's reflection in the window as he huffed in annoyance at being caught up at a red light.

He tapped his fingers impatiently on the steering wheel as he willed the orange light to come faster.

It was rather funny to see this grown, otherwise calm, burly man knit his brow and suck in his lips like a little boy.

I knew that he was worried sick about me and how I'd cope with living alone. He just wasn't able to express it and my heart went out to him.

Chuckling softly, I leaned over and planted a chaste kiss on his unshaven cheek lined with a day old stubble and said, "I'll be fine Daddy. You concentrate on your health and don't overwork yourself."

The bright smile I got in return and the twinkle in his eyes were enough to make my day.

My lips curled up further.

"Oh Akira, you know me so well," he shook his head, his eyes crinkling at the corners as his lips stretched into a big smile.

"Don't worry about me..." he started, but stops himself from spouting his usual, 'the company demands excellence from each and every one of its employees...blah blah blah' bullshit.

Instead he wrapped my small palm in his large on and continued, "Promise that you won't keep anything that's hurting you from me. Be a good girl okay."

My father's voice was so sincere that I could have cried then. My mouth curved slightly as I nod in response.

"I'll make you proud." I said, but it sounds more like I was reaffirming it to myself.

"I have no doubt about that Akira. Now don't you burden yourself with those big, fat monstrosities you like to call books. Have the time of your life. Your mother and I, we'll be fine. Don't worry about us." He replied with a reassuring smile, turning the key into ignition as the red light turned green.

Carpe diem Akira...

●○●

Hey everyone!!!

It's amazing to be back on Wattpad :)

What better to do during this lockdown period, than curl up in your favourite corner and dive into another world to get away from Corona issues for a while?!

Vote, comment, share and don't forget to spread the love!♡