Chapter 3: Defending The Liar

Start from the beginning

Then, Brown decided to join the conversation.

"Wait - what do their roommates have to say? If either of them are guilty, their roommates might know something."

Red turned to Black and Orange.

Black shrunk further into her seat.

Please, Black. Help me out.

Blue desperately tried to discreetly catch her attention through the force of eye contact.

PLEASE. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT'S AT STAKE HERE.

I'M SORRY FOR TAKING YOUR TABLET YESTERDAY.

I'LL TRY NOT TO BE SARCASTIC OR SNARKY FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

I'LL DO ANYTHING.

JUST HELP ME.

After a long moment, Black finally noticed Blue's silent panic.

She took a deep breath and pulled out her tablet, writing something down.

Orange spoke up, "I didn't hear anything, so I must have been asleep. I... do tend to be a heavy sleeper. Sorry, I've got nothing."

Black, on the other hand, had something.

It was a lie.

But, with the Green situation going on, what was one small fib going to add to the dumpster fire?

I was woken up when Blue left the room, and I was still awake when the emergency was called. I was bored, so I listened to hear where Blue went - I heard her footsteps go straight to the cafeteria, and then I remember faint undistinguishable sounds that must have been the struggle. Cyan was killed in Electrical, so if Blue went straight to the cafeteria, it was not her that killed Cyan.

And there was Blue's defense.

Not true - I went back to check Electrical after going to the cafeteria, and then the struggle happened.

But THANK YOU.

Pink and Brown both seemed to accept this defense.

But that left Green undefended.

What am I supposed to do here?

Wait. There IS something I can do.

"Wait," Blue spoke up again. "I remember that my attacker was taller than me, and bigger than me. That has to narrow it down, right?"

Green is slightly smaller than me.

This should help.

But it'll pin someone else with the crime, my faint conscience whispered.

But do we have a choice?

Red thought about this for a minute. "Sure, let's do it."

Blue stood up, and prepared to be measured next to everyone.

Red was taller, but thinner.

Pink was slightly shorter, and so was Purple.

Brown, although taller, was crossed off the list of suspects due to a previous injury in his foot that gave him a slight limp when walking, and pained him under too much stress. A fight would not have been in his capability.

Black - thank the stars above - was shorter.

Green was shorter, obviously.

Orange was the exact same height, to his evident relief.

But Yellow, the poor, unfortunate soul, was both taller and bigger than Blue.

She protested, but Red was having none of her protests.

Brown tried to come to Yellow's defense, but it was no use. No one else believed him.

The evidence - although fake - was there. And it was convincing.

Blue sat back down, and Talon, not quite understanding what was going on, snuggled into her chest again.

This is to protect you, little buddy.

I'm sorry, Yellow, but it's kill or be killed.

Everyone voted on their tablets.

And the vote was on Yellow.

Everyone had voted for her except herself and Brown.

Brown broke down, and it was that moment when Blue realized what Yellow's fate would be.

She followed Red's gaze.

The chute leading outside - into open space.

What have we done?

Once they realize it's not Yellow... what's going to happen?

Red and Pink dragged Yellow to the chute, and her screams filled the air. Blue shielded Talon from the sight, wrapping him in a tight embrace.

Similarly, she saw Black curled up in her chair, covering her ears and shutting her eyes tight as she cried.

Everyone else was having similar reactions to Brown and Black, with varying degrees of distress.

Blue watched as Yellow was allowed one last hug from Brown.

Then, Yellow was shoved into the chute.

And was released into open space.

Blue's eyes met Yellow's as she drifted away.

I'm sorry it had to be you.

But I had no choice.