She was okay. There were no visible wounds, no bloodstains, no sign of any harm on her. She's okay. Her hair was clipped back, unlike before, and her thigh-high socks were missing. But she's okay. He grasped at the sliver of hope that arose in him. All that was required was for Yeonha to look at Kyung. She'd know. She'd definitely know—

Behind her, Taek burst through the doors with an angry expression on his face. He hissed something at her and Yeonha turned to face him.

"I don't know what you want me to say." Yeonha deadpanned and Kyung felt the hope in him begin to evaporate, "Even though we might be in the same class, I've never spoken to you before. I'm sorry if that offends you."

Taek resembled a fish as he opened and closed his mouth, rethinking what to say.

But Kyung...he could only watch as Yeonha walked past him without sparing a glance. Pain that he had never, ever experienced before tore through him. In the back of his mind, he thought he would've collapsed had he not spun around and called for her.

She stopped to look at him, "Ah, Baek Kyung. Did you need something?"

No, don't say my name like that.

"Yeonha, you...do you want to go home together?"

Say yes. Say that you remember. Say that you're just joking around and that you don't mean to look at me like I'm a stranger.

She blinked in surprise, "What? Oh, um...thank you for offering but I'd rather be alone today. Maybe you should ask Danoh?"

"Yeah," He gave her a feeble smile, "Yeah, no, I understand."

"Are you alright?" Yeonha asked, noticing how his hands shook.

Kyung nodded, "I'm fine."

"Okay," She barely smiled before turning away, "I'll see you tomorrow."

This can't be right. He watched her leave, with the last shred of hope that she'd turn around and run back to him. Everything can't change so quickly. You held my hand this morning. I kissed you when I walked you till your classroom this morning. You laughed at me and with me in the hallways. This can't be

Taek touched his shoulder. Despair shone in his eyes as Kyung turned his head in a daze.

"I went to apologize but she didn't recognize me," Taek said, "What happened?"

"What do you think happened?" Kyung's voice was on the verge of breaking, "I saw her die. She's gone."

What will you do, now that you're alone?

◆◆◆

Haru couldn't shake off the image of Danoh staring up at the night sky, begging the Writer to let her live. Both of them knew that the Writer couldn't hear her, but what else could she do? Changing the Stage was a shot in the dark Haru was debating to take. After what he had heard from Baek Kyung about his sister...he didn't want to mindlessly rush into things.

The boy jerked to a stop at the thought of Yeonha. How could he have been so stupid? He had completely forgotten about the way Dohwa had burst into the class. He had refused to say anything afterwards, looking too traumatized himself, and had taken the rest of the day off.

Haru ran all the way back home.

Sagak.

Their parents were working late again. Surprisingly, Haru didn't feel the usual jolt of irritation that he usually did when he was around his sisters. He had quietly chided Jiho for picking around her food and had offered to clear the table. Yeonha had seemed taken aback.