Chapter 31: A Revelation

Hurt. And rage. It drew over his face and never left. Fists at his sides, he couldn't resist it any longer and threw them at the man. Over and over. Nothing could stop him; not when they called his name, not when he was grabbed at, and not when a gun went off.

Nothing could.

"How could you?!" he roared. "Dad should still be here!"

"I'm not a monster like they are!" Galant said, shielding himself. "I'm proving it to you right now by not hitting back."

"You're one of them. You don't get to say you're innocent." Forest struggled out of a pair of hands. "Don't you dare."

Careering back, the man shook his head slowly. "I never harmed a living being. Not on purpose. I get zombies and that's all!"

"Your people released those walkers and cougars into the wild. And you just watched," the boy said, his eyes resembling fire. "That makes you just as much of a criminal as they are." With a grunt, he tried escaping the grip once more. But failed. "Let go of me!"

"No."

Was that...? Looking up, he found that it was. "Autumn?" His words were venom. "How could you?!"

"What happened... happened. We can't change anything," she said, unable to keep her voice steady. "Either way, the person in front of you isn't responsible, but we're headed to the ones that are. It's up to you if we get there."

"Let go of me," Forest demanded, "now." When she didn't, he showed his teeth. "Now."

"Not until you show me you can control yourself." Autumn loosened her grasp. "Can I trust you?"

He nodded, but not without glaring at Galant. "Yes. Now let me go."

She studied him for a moment. "Okay." Freeing him, she swallowed hard. "Okay."

Straightening up, he flashed his sister a scowl before facing Galant. "This isn't over." And it wasn't; it couldn't be.

"Galant?" Winter piped up, her eyes boring into his. "From now on, whenever I look at you I'll see blood. His death is on your hands. That's on you."

When they resumed their walk, the air was cold and distant. Even more so than before. Questions whirled in everyone's minds, yet none spoke up. Otherwise, another fight could begin.

One step after the other.

As he pressed on, the boy wouldn't allow himself to look at Galant. It'd be too painful. Instead, he focused on the ground ahead. As for Winter, however, she didn't have the might; or maybe she just didn't care. Her eyes were burning holes in him, and it was clear the man knew too well.

This would go on for many more hours.

Feet dragging, Forest had lost his energy long ago, as did the others. Still, none said a word. How long ago they had begun, he had no idea. But he did know this: there was still plenty of earth to cover. 

"What could they have possibly taken?" Jett asked, finally voicing his thoughts. "It must have been pretty valuable to kill someone over."

Forest stiffened at the question. He was right; buried near the farmhouse must have been something those people treasured. Right?

"We were working on a cure. That's what they took from us. So," Galant said, throwing the man a glance, "you can see why they want it so bad."

"A cure?" Jett cried. "Does... it work?" 

Everyone came to a halt, all eyes on Galant. 

With a sigh, Galant turned around. "Does it work? It did, but some believe it to be poisoned."