Ch 31 ~ The Dwarf

Half a day out of Mirkwood and I am already beginning to feel lost. The dense trees and absence of the sun through the thick foliage make it impossible to maintain a clear sense of direction.

This forest is a maze.

A few wrong turns had me heading east at one point, though by the time I realized my misdirection and corrected myself, I wasn't even sure of what part of the forest I was in. I was forced to retrace my steps completely, earning me another four hours of wandering through the trees with no one but a snickering stallion, who seemed to be endlessly amused at my misfortune, for company.

But even after four hours, I'm no closer to getting home than I was when I first left the Woodland Realm.

I can't seem to focus. My mind is helplessly preoccupied, spinning in the same, confused circles I seem to be treading across the forest floor, as one simple sentence echoes in my head.

What might have become with more time.

The only thing I've accomplished with four hours is convincing myself I didn't know what he meant by it, but if I was to be completely honest with myself, that was entirely because I didn't want to know what he meant.

I jolt out of my thoughtful daze as I nearly walk head first into a tree, Asfaloth snickering once again, at my absentminded behavior. This wasn't the first tree I'd almost walked into.

I shoot the stallion a glare but even my scowl can't rid the amused glint that twinkles in his dark eyes. Ignoring my overly-happy horse, I shake my head and try to focus solely on the road ahead. Lingering on Legolas' words would do me no good now.

I've made my choice. I had chosen to leave.

And true to his word, Legolas had gotten me out with little trouble on his part. After all, he grew up in that palace. I wouldn't be surprised if he knows more about getting in and out covertly than the servants do. I was relieved when he offered to help. Despite our mixed feelings, if it hadn't been for his assistance, I would have been caught several times over. And then there would have been no hope of seeing Nana before my father came to fetch me.

The thought sends a spark of anger through my blood.

Ada.

How can he believe he has the right to keep me from my own mother? How can he-

The sudden snap of a twig has my pointed ears pricking up, mind springing to attention. Without a second thought, my bow is loaded and my sharp eyes are scanning the dense forest surrounding me. All his previous humor seems to leave Asfaloth as he stands frozen in place at my side, stationary as a statue, his intelligent eyes scanning the forest as well. I twist as another crackle comes from my right and a stout creature comes rushing into the clearing, dressed in heavy coats and panting softly.

My arrow is pulled back in a blink.

"Freeze."

At the sound of my voice, it stumbles to a stop in the centre of the clearing.

I step nimbly out of the trees, my light footsteps barely disturbing the leaves strewn across forest floor. The creature remains entirely still, head bowed, my arrow still aimed at its heart despite the high probability of missing my intended target should I let it fly.

But then it raises its head and as its eyes meet mine, and only one word flashes through my mind.

Dwarf.

My grip on the arrow between my fingers tightens. I know there is many a strange thing to be found in Mirkwood forest but a dwarf is probably the last thing I would have expected.