Chapter seventeen

Start from the beginning

After what felt like forever Tom spoke up, "Jasper and Killian are correct. We can't let our avarice get in the way of our safety. But the only way we can know for sure is to send a small group out." His dark eyes raked over the group, "We'll send our most skilled, as well as-" His eyes landed on Jasper, "One with experience in these situations." 

Jasper widened his eyes just a small bit. A worm of anxiety wriggled in his stomach, making him feel nauseous. His lips parted to speak, but he wasn't exactly sure what he was going to say. He finally was able to talk through the lump in his throat, "I never lead any missions. I was just given orders to follow."

"You're being given orders now as well." Tom said sternly. Jasper could feel the indignation and anger from Killian. The other man was practically shaking, his teeth grit and fists clenched. Tom didn't seem to notice, "You can take whoever you want with you, if that's any consolation." Jasper clenched his jaw indecisively, running a hand through his hair tuft. 

Darren spoke up, "You just said it was unsafe, Tom. Why don't we have people volunteer instead of being drafted?" His eyes narrowed, and the man looked towards Killian worriedly. Jasper was unsure of whether Darren actually considered Killian a member of the group yet or not, but it seemed as if the other man had the mentality of, 'any friend of his is a friend of mine.' 

Jasper could feel his anxiety rising more and more by the second. Keeping people safe was his main job here, making decisions in the social aspect of the group, not leading them into dangerous situations. Any injuries would be in his hands...as well as any possible deaths. He could never fathom the idea of losing a group member due to his own judgement. How could he ever have the confidence to actually lead them?

Killian finally snapped. Jasper hesitantly lifted a hand to hold the other man back if he had to. He hadn't ever seen Killian act so aggressively towards another person before. "You can't just send Jasper to lead a group of people when he hasn't ever done it before!" Killian spat. His eyes were blazing, his fists shaking with rage. When he shot to his feet, Jasper did as well, just in case. "There's no way you can just tell him what to do, he already said he didn't want to. Get some other asshole to put themselves into danger willingly." Like the flip of a switch, Killian had gone from fiery and aggressive to cold and abrasive. "A reluctant leader is a bad one, Tom." 

Cohen stood up, alongside the others. The doctor's lips were tugged into a frown; his eyes flickered as they looked Killian up and down. "Perhaps, but if we let other volunteer then nobody is going to go on the mission." Cohen was perhaps more analytical that sympathetic, but Jasper could hardly blame him. In this situation, it was easy to detach yourself from others. "Considering Killian's temper, I'm not sure he should go along with you." He added to Jasper. 

Jasper saw Killian's angered expression falter, as if he'd been slapped across the face. He felt his own stomach sinking, "Killian and I work best together," Jasper replied cautiously. His gaze flickered between every other member of the council, but it seemed like he was outvoted. His brows narrowed. "You can't-" 

"You have three hours." Tom said bluntly, with a soft sigh. "I'll come with y-"

"The group can't afford to lose their leader or their medic." Jasper interrupted, closing his eyes. The darkness was something that was comforting and familiar; a deep breath helped him calm his nerves. "It looks like I'm outvoted then?" A nervous chuckle bubbled up from his chest, "That's alright, we'll be fine. Just keep an eye on this one," He ruffled Killian's hair, despite the other man's annoyance. "He tends to get in trouble." 

Killian growled softly, "I don't need looking after." Pushing open the door, Killian stalked out of the room and slammed the door behind him. 

Jasper let a long, exhaling sigh leave his chest as he watched the younger man leave the meeting in a huff. Running a stressed hand through his hair tuft again, he checked to make sure all of his weapons were on him. He still had his supplies bag, but he wanted to talk to Killian before he left for the mission. Making sure everything was in place, Jasper left the meeting room and stepped back into the lot of the motel. Darren followed him, and Jasper could hear the door shut softly behind them. "You know, I would have let him go with you." Darren said bluntly. 

Jasper raised a brow and turned to meet the other man's eyes, "That so?" He inquired. 

A small smile tugged gently at the corners of Darren's lips as he slipped his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "'Course," he teased, "If the guy wants to risk his life for you and nobody else, then he's the best one to have on the mission. Everybody else here? No telling who has the most selfish motives." 

Jasper shot Darren a cold glare, "Not helping, man." He muttered. Pulling the gun from its holster at his hip, Jasper unloaded the magazine of the firearm and felt how heavy it was, letting out a low grunt of annoyance, "I've got three bullets left at most." He muttered, loading the gun again. "No mags left." Although at the moment it seemed like a trivial complaint, Jasper could feel his gut twisting anxiously. Running out of bullets could certainly mean death for him. Long-ranged weapons--especially firearms--were what suited him best. The swing from a crowbar could only kill so many biters before he got overwhelmed. Darren's brows knit together sympathetically. He parted his lips but Jasper interrupted, "I'm not 'borrowing' anything from anybody."

Jasper heard an exasperated sigh from Darren as the other man finally managed to get another word in, "Well if you aren't going to borrow anything, then I'll give you my gun for the trip. We'll trade when you get back," Darren grabbed Jasper's gun away from him and un-holstered his own, shoving it into Jasper's hand instead. Jasper couldn't help but be peeved by Darren's insistent exchange of their weapons, but he paid it no mind when he felt just how heavy Darren's gun was. 

"So I take it you're not coming with me?" Jasper muttered. 

"Oh no, I'm coming with you." Darren said sharply, his brows narrowing. "You can't stop me from that, but you've always been a better shot than me. So just watch my back." Darren patted Jasper's shoulder with a small nod and a smile. 

Jasper's lip twitched into a wry smile. After a long minute of contemplating, he nodded. "Alright man, yea. Thanks." Darren nodded once and waved Jasper goodbye, heading over towards another room. Jasper assumed he was going to give his goodbyes to the other group members he'd gotten close to, and maybe warn them that Jasper was getting ready to choose who would go with them. 

Who was Jasper to choose the people that would accompany him on such a dangerous task? For all he knew, Jasper could be leading every one of his chosen few to their demise. There was no telling who or what resided in that town, not to mention what the patrol might encounter on the way there. Jasper could feel his hands clenching up, his eyes closed tight. He was nobody but a soldier made to follow orders, certainly not a man who lead others into dangerous situations. 

Inhaling a deep and shuddering breath, Jasper had to bite his tongue to hold back a frustrated huff. A reluctant leader was not a good one. If his team were to survive, they would need somebody with a clear mind and set purpose to take the initiative. Whether he liked it or not, that was who Jasper had to be. When he'd gathered his nerves, Jasper took one more deep breath and holstered the gun Darren handed him. Now it was time to choose who he would lead into danger.