TWO: Group Discussion

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing?" Rick spoke from behind me causing me to jump in fright and slip, slide down the roof. I quickly grab onto the gutter as I hung from the roof, "Nyx." I see Noel looking up at me as I held onto the edge for dear, "get back inside, keep Naomi safe, I'll be alright." Noel nodded and disappeared out of sight, I took a deep breath, swinging my body. I let go and tumble into the balcony of my mother's old bedroom.

From the balcony, I dropped to the ground and fixed the gap in fence I built to keep walkers out. Once it was secure, I attached a egg timer to one of my arrow, setting it to go off in two minutes, before shooting it far away from the house. I quickly got back inside the house, and watched as the walkers made their way towards the sound. "What happened?" T-Dog approached me, and I quickly backed away from him and made my way up the stairs.

"Noel? Noel? Are you ok?" I called quietly, "Naomi's room." I entered to see he stood in front of Naomi's cot, gun in hand pointing it at the door. "Everything is ok now." I promised him, locking the door once again before I left, but then I realised. "How did you get out?" I questioned looking at Noel after I reopened the door, "I picked the lock the way you taught me to." I nod happy it wasn't one of the strangers that let him out. "Goodnight." I whispered locking the door once again.

I made my way downstairs, grabbed my dinner and sat outside the room Noel and Naomi were sleeping in. I could hear the group downstairs talking about me, "she's more afraid of people that she is of the walkers." Daryl spoke up, and that helped me confirm that they were talking about me. "Do you blame her? She's raising her siblings in this world and her little brother was forced to kill a man because he wanted to take advantage of her." Lori adds, I didn't like being the topic of conversation, not before not now.

"Crazy that even as fucked up as the world is, people are still our biggest enemy." T-Dog concluded on Lori's behalf. "She knows how to survive, she knows how to make arrows, she knows how to track and cook. We need someone like her." Glenn spoke, I smiled at his thought, "she's just a kid." I rolled my eyes and scoffed at Rick's argument, "she a lot more grown up than us, she keeps track of everything, from walker kills to how many mouthfuls of chicken she has in the house. She's resourceful, even though she has enough food to feast for two months, she rations it to last her two years." Maggie argued, "she doesn't panic when her life is in danger, she literally told her little brother to stay with the baby and that she'll be alright. She flipped onto the balcony, dropped to the ground, fixed the gap in her defences before driving the walkers away." Glenn reminded the group of what I did an hour ago.

"What about the other two?" "Rick, you are not suggesting we offer the girl a place in the group on the condition that she leaves her brother and sister behind." Hershel spoke up in disbelief, I silently agreed with the older man, "Noel can handle himself, he knows how to take care of the kid." Rick argued, "he's eleven years old." Lori reminded her husband. "We don't even know how old Nyx is, she could handle it then so can her brother." "She's 14." Lori spoke up, "Noel told us while he was getting Naomi ready for bed."

There was a silence in the room, "shit, that kid is tougher than nails." Daryl's voice sound, I laugh quietly, 'sure am Dar-dar.' "Where is she now?" Rick questioned, noticing how quite the house is, "upstairs guarding the boy and babies room." Daryl inform him, "Noel said she doesn't sleep, she just sits and hopes that it's a walker coming through the door and not a person." Maggie spoke, "he told me so when she was putting Naomi to sleep." She clarified on when Noel told her this information.

"That's insane, there's no way she hasn't slept in a year and four months." T-Dog expresses, "you'd be surprised what the young can do when it comes to protecting their own." Hershel said, I could hear a slight sound of pity in Hershel's words. "Who's on watch?" Rick questions, "come on Rick, she's not going to do anything," Lori spoke, "you lot just argued with me giving ten million different ways that she can do things." "I'll take watch, I need to know how in the hell she carried a 250lb deer with a 100lb body." Daryl spoke up, and I listened to the others as they settled down for the night.

Not long after I heard snores, Daryl came into view, "hello little lady." Daryl spoke with an odd sense of comfort, "hello Dar-dar," Daryl chuckled at my words, "you've been here all of five minutes and Naomi already likes you more than me." Daryl sat next to me, I moved closer to the wall, and rested my head just under the doorknob. "Nah, I'm just new, she loves you and Noel more than you know." I nod in response, "I've strong legs." I spoke causing Daryl to look at me strangely, making me realise he didn't know what I was talking about, "that's how I carried the deer, I tied it up and wore it like a backpack until we got home." Daryl smiled and nodded.

"I'm taking it that's not the only thing you overheard." I shook my head no, "look you're good people, I can see that, but I will never, ever, leave Noel or Naomi behind. They're the only reason I'm fighting so hard to stay alive." Daryl nodded and we leaned against the door, "why didn't you kick us out after dinner?" Daryl questioned, "Naomi trusts you, and I trust her. Toddlers have great instincts when it comes to people." I admitted before standing up and going to the on-suite and hand washed all the laundry, including the guests laundry.