Chapter 33

**If you enjoy, please consider leaving a comment or vote! I really appreciate the feedback!**

Come To Argue

"My, my," came a voice beside me, startling me from my thoughts, "you certainly seem to have done quite well for yourself since I last saw you, if you don't mind me saying."

I looked up to find Kristof, the Crown Prince of the angels, looking down at me, amusement dancing in his strange silver eyes. So much had happened between Luca and I since that first fateful ball, that I had nearly forgotten the bizarre conversation I had with the angel prince just before. Hadn't even considered the possibility that he would be among the heirs returning to Lupia for negotiations.

"Prince Kristof," I greeted, unsure– as I was at the last ball– of what hidden motive had brought the prince to speak with me, "Have you come to argue against the bill as well?"

He smiled, not the slightest bit bothered by my brash words. It was as if he could tell the toll the night was having on me, the exhaustion of feeling so many eyes on me at once. The nagging knowledge that many in the room likely resented me for the progressive new direction the kingdom had turned in. The constant looking over my shoulder as the memories of the threats from the guests at the last ball replayed in my head. "Not at all," he said, "I'm only here to observe and represent my country. I assume the bill was your doing, at least in part? I did say that you would be a powerful ally, did I not?"

My eyes fell on Luca's tall form, entertaining a group council men near the stairs. He had wanted me to join him, but I had gently declined, using the excuse of wanting a refreshment to escape having to fake a smile through an entire conversation with the dukes and lords of the council– even if they were on their best behavior. "It was actually all his idea," I decided to tell him truthfully, "I never even considered the possibility of something this big actually working." I added a moment later, voice wistful, "But he did."

His eyes flicked to the top of my head, at the crown of gemstones that Eden had artfully arranged there. "The two of you are... close?" There was a skepticism in his eyes that confused me.

"We are," I narrowed my own eyes at him in suspicion. "Why do you ask?"

He shrugged, feigning nonchalance as he looked back out over the crowded ballroom, "No reason."

I wasn't convinced, but there was no time to press him further. Two men approached us, shining gold crowns contrasting sharply, nestled in their pale, nearly white hair. "Good evening, Prince Kristof," the older looking of the two said with a nod in his direction. "It's been some months, how do you fare?"

"Well, thank you." Kristof replied smoothly, though I couldn't help but notice there was a stiffness to his posture that hadn't been there before. He turned to me, "Rose, may I introduce you to Prince Eric and Prince Frey of the kingdom of Geistreich."

"And who might this be?"

"This," Kristof said, shooting me another look, "Is Rose, the luna of the kingdom of Lupia."

The older one, Prince Eric, scoffed, "Ah, so this is the DiLuna prince's rumored human plaything?"

My shock at his rude words floored me, before quickly being replaced by anger. I tilted my chin up defiantly, preparing to defend myself. Before I could, all of my anger slipped away, replaced by a strange, empty numbness.

"Now, now," Kristof scolded them, voice still light despite the growing tension, "that is no way to speak of someone of her status."

If I had control of my own emotions, I would have felt grateful to him for coming to my defense. Instead I listened to their exchange with a neutral expression that would have made Luca or his family proud.