A Night of Wishful Thinking

Start from the beginning

I nod, the thought of rejection suddenly crossing my mind. I braced myself, ready to take the hit.

"That's a lot of donuts..."

Damn it, did I screw it up? I had one job! Now she's gonna think less of me and it's all my fault!

"I can't say I love them." I frown, my head sinking further into despair.

"...But I do love the gesture!" Maya giggles. What a doll.

Quickly, my pride has been regained.

She likes it, more or less. Success!

It didn't seem like it, but time flew right past us, the melody of our conversations chirping against this cozy, moonlit setting.

I felt like I belong. I felt at ease. It felt like I could do no wrong with her.

She had endless topics, and I jumped at every possible chance of sharing. The donuts filled her mouth, yet she still managed to hold her gaze.

She's... amazing.

For the first time in my life, my words held meaning. My stories held purpose.

Because with Maya, everything was interesting.

Everything was... great.

"No, no, you've got it all wrong! I meant to be the monkey, but Trevor wouldn't let that happen! So I was stuck with the pig, and, well, did I have a choice? I don't think so."

Maya quirks up from her relaxed position, to further prove her point. "Well, here's what I think. Screw him, and screw Trevor and screw the monkey role! Who'd want to have a monkey GF anyways? I know I wouldn't!"

I missed it, but something was apparently off about me that got Maya's attention.

It was probably a wince.

"Yo, what's up?" Maya asked.

"Uh, I don't know much about constellations, but I do know some stars! There's Sirius, and there's--"

"Oh, hush, smartypants!" She throws the empty donut pack at me, despite the fence between us.

But quickly, the fun evaporated. It evaporated into something serious.

"Really, what's wrong? Something ticked you off there, I know it," she explained, seeing right through me.

I simply sigh, not knowing what to say.

Maya tilts her head to the side. She's so cute when she does that...

"...Who played the monkey girlfriend?"

I had a bad feeling she already knew who it was, so...

"Helene."

"I thought so."

She sidles back down, closer to me. We were sitting back-to-back at this point.

"Why are you bummed out? Care to let me know?"

Hesitation welled inside me. I wasn't totally dejected, but there was sorrow in there somewhere.

"...You won't be mad if I, keep it to myself, for now, right?"

"Of course," Maya assured with finesse.

"But you know, my dad always told me, 'Maya, get the old truck movin' or I'll be feedin' ya to the dogs! If you think you'll get off the hook so easily this time, well, that's where you're wrong, missus!'. Good times," she narrated whilst mimicking a country accent.

There was nothing stopping my obnoxious guffaw. "What the heck was that? What has that got to do with anything?"

"Nothing! Sheesh!" Maya fought back, also snickering herself.

"...That's stupid. You're stupid, oh my God!"

"Hey, nothing could top the stupid in your constellations joke! Ugh, get it away!"

It felt like our laughter went on forever. I didn't care if we were causing a ruckus. I just don't want this to end.

"Alright, alright, you know what, you got me in the mood," I said with newfound motivation.

"Alright, D, shoot!"

I heave, then say, "I asked Helene if she wanted to go out with me on Christmas Eve, and she declined."

Maya flashes a sign of pity. "Did she do it politely?"

I politely shake my head.

A silence hangs in the air. It further magnified the situation we were in. A bunch of noisy teens at night, having fun.

I thought of breaking the silence, but not after Maya does it, and in a way, I did not expect her to.

"How about I be your date?"

Maya...

I didn't realize cheeks could actually turn red.

Smiling, she stood up, having seen my obvious reaction. "I'll give you some time to think about it."

She winks straight through my soul.

Again with that wink.

"See ya, D!"

Soon after Maya left me, the door behind me opens to reveal Dad looking mildly tipsy.

"Hey, kiddo, give your mother a massage. She won't stop bugging me about it, saying I'm ignoring her! I wasn't, I literally just got here!"

I can't wipe the smug grin off my face.

"Son, you okay--?"

"Yup!"

I skip back inside, ready to give Ma the best massage she'd ever have.